unspoken | lloyd g.

[Lloyd, and his views on the disadvantages that comes with being the Green Ninja.]

A/N: Shoutout to @secretlyharumi for helping inspire this fic!! On that note I HAVE CAUGHT UP FOR SUMMER OF WHUMP EVERYONE SAY YAY

• • •

The green gi comes with some unspoken burdens, and Lloyd learns this early on.

He can't be weak, or tired, or a little done with life, because he's the protector of Ninjago and people need the ninja, not a scared little boy who still wants to hug his dad instead of fight him.

He can't give up, because he's the Green Ninja and everyone's relying on him, him and his elemental powers that seem to suck on his energy every second of the day.

He can't have anything other than a perfect facade of the city's hero when he's out, because otherwise the cruel brand of imperfect and useless spreads through the city in whispers and news articles, no matter how much Kai storms the television anchors, anything wrong from Lloyd will be amplified by a hundred and told to everyone.

Being a hero is every child's dream. Being able to pull up jade fire at their fingertips, to wear a shining uniform, to have their name spoken through every home, has always sounded like an unreachable prize in a kid's fantasy.

Lloyd had never wanted it. Sure, there'd been a few times as a kid, when elation sparked through him at the sight of his power, bright green flaming at very his core. But more days past, and with it more missions, and with that too many times where he has to risk his own family and friends for the sake of something bigger.

Lives sit on every decision he makes, and Lloyd hates it, hates being the one everyone looks up to for life changing choices.

He would never say it, but burning the gi feels a little better, watching the jade cloth turn to ashes in bright embers. His powers are gone, and so is his uniform, and the disappearance of his brothers takes over his mind.

But he finds it again and again, for another mission, another fight, another time people need the Green Ninja and not Lloyd, and it feels like the cloud of worries that seems to hover with it falls right back onto him like a ton of bricks when the uniform slips back onto his shoulders.

There are times in between the seemingly never ending battles, when they rest and laugh and forget about their troubles for a little while. Times when Kai isn't constantly burning from a raging fire, when Zane lets go of the logical part of his mind for a little while, when Lloyd doesn't stare at the gi hanging in his closet and wonder when he can stop fighting.

But these days never last long, because villain after villain rises out of nowhere, old regrets and prophecies and betrayals taking control of their lives again.

Lloyd learns that the title of the Green Ninja brings unspeakable rules and limits with the powers and gifts.

He thinks it just might not be worth the drowning pain that hangs over it, though.

Nothing would ever be.