knee deep in this | kai s., cole b.

take this while i work on my long ass lloyd piece and the forever ongoing spiderverse gwen angst

☼☼☼

Kai ties off a stitch and asks, "Do you ever miss it?"

Cole looks up, flips off the lighter from where the flame is growing dangerously close to his jacket, listening to the click of metal. "Miss what?"

"It. You know. All those villains. Every day, it felt like a new one coming out of the,

the woodwork. That." The fire ninja doesn't look up as he works, steady hands lining up stitch after stitch. He doesn't blink at the blood, although maybe a few years ago he would've. Maybe.

"Maybe." He says, voice soft and sharp. Razor edged, the way he sounds like talking about his dad. The way he delivered the eulogy, tired and sad and harsh. Kai smiles bitterly. Exhales. Watches the curl of smoke escape towards the ceiling, disappear into the light.

The jet is empty, like it is most of these days. Cole watches his own blood drip from his fingertips, reminds himself this is a shallow flesh wound. Wonders who the voice in his reminds him off, the one that tells him it should've been more. Than a flesh wound. Should've gone deeper, should've. Well. Something beeps in the near-distance, and it sounds like the oxygen machine he's seen too many of his teammates hooked up to too many times. It flashes red for a second, and he squints at it. That isn't right.

A stab of pain drags him back to reality, and he looks up to see Kai fingering the needle, curling loops of bandages hanging off his fingers.

"We should head back in," he says, words hanging aimlessly in the cockpit. It's too wide now, too—, spacious, and Cole remembers the days when he'd have given anything for Jay to get out of his business, when he huddled in the back of the plane with Nya, both rolling their eyes at the noise, empty threats flying back and forth across the room. (Ironic, now, that'd he'd trade his soul to be back there. With them.)

Kai finishes taping up the bandage, the soft rip echoeing through his ears the same way it has a thousand times.

"Yeah."

☼☼☼