2

"Attention on deck!" Commander orders and we all stand up. "Good morning, welcome to your special training detachment." He continues. "Be seated." He orders once again. He quickly introduced himself, although he familiar with most, before beginning. "Your all top gun graduates, the elite, the best of the best." I could see small smiles growing on everyone's faces, knowing he was right, but the smiles quickly fall at his next comment.

"That was yesterday. The enemies new 5th generation fighter has levelled the plane field." He proceeds explaining. He then continued to finish explaining to us what this mission was about and it was now time to find out who our instructor is, which is the question that's been playing on everyone's mind. "Your instructor is a top gun graduate with real world experience, in every mission aspect you will be expected to master. His exploits are legendary, he is considered to be one of the finest pilots this program has ever produced." I turn back hearing footsteps. Shit. No. Not him, it can't be. Maverick. I huff in annoyance put my head down so I don't make eye contact with him. "What he has to teach you, may well be the difference between life and death, I give you captain Pete Mitchelle, call sign Maverick." Wow still captain I thought he would of atleast be at Second Sergeant by now.

"Morning, the F.A.T Nay-tops." He holds the big file. "Contains everything they want you to know about your aircraft. I'm assuming you know the book inside out." We all either nod or verbally agree. He then chucks it in the Trash Can beside him, and we all share looks of confusion, even the commanders do. "So does you enemy." He does make a true point. "But what the enemy doesn't know, is your limits." He tells us. "I intend to find them, test them, push beyond." I look around the room to see everyone else doing the same thing.

"Today we'll start with what you only think you know. You show me what your made of." He's right, I will show him, normally I fly in a single but for this mission I'll be be flying in a double but I don't know who with yet.

——————

"I know, can you believe it out of everyone-" Me and Rooster are walking towards our jets on the runway, until I'm interrupted by the man himself. "Hey Eagle, Rooster!" We just ignore him and continue to walk. "Britney, Bradley." We still ignore him. "Lieutenant Bradshaw!" This finally grabs our attention. "Which one?" I shrug. "Both of you!"

"Yes sir." We say in unison. "So we're gonna do it like this then huh?" Maverick sighs.

"You gonna wash us out?" I sarcastically say while keeping a straight face. "That will be up to you guys not me." He shrugs. "Are we dismissed." I roll my eyes. "Yeah."
"Great." I fake smile at him making my way to my Jett.

As I get there I find Fanboy checking the front wheels of the plane. "Hey so your my backseater then?" I question smiling. "Sure am." He gets up to get in the back seat of the Jett setting all his controls up followed by me getting the front putting on my customised yellow, brown and white eagle helmet on. "Ready?" I ask turning on all the controls. "Yeah more than I'll ever be." He chuckles as I start both plane engines.

——————

"Good morning aviators, this is your captain speaking, welcome to basic fighter manoeuvres." Maverick tunes in. "As briefed, todays exercise is dog fighting. Guns only, no missals. We don't go below the hard deck of 5,000 feet. Working as a team you have to shoot me down or else." He explains. "Or else what?" I challenged his 'threat'. "Or else I shoot back." He replies. "If I shoot either one of you down, you both loose."

"Sir what about if we put some skin in the game? Who ever gets shot down first has to do 200 push-ups." Payback suggests from ground. "Guys that's a lot of push-ups." Maverick states the obvious. "Well they don't call it an exercise for nothing sir." Fanboy chuckles. "You got yourself a deal guys. Fights on." He confirms then jetting of in front of us, meaning the game had began.