6

"I'm sorry to be the first to tell you this Britney, but Tom Kazansky has passed away." Admiral broke to news to me. He knew how close I was with him growing up and he was there for me, when my dad died, so I couldn't imagine not having him there as well.

It felt my whole world froze when he told me. It didn't seem true. Tom was always there...he could never be gone. "Wait w-what do you mean 'passed away'?" I was barely able to say holding back tears. "I'm sorry to be the one to tell you all this." Admirals face softens at my reaction. "No...No! Your wrong he's probably just..." I try to make up what might of happened instead, I was hiding away from the truth, something that I had been doing a lot lately. "He died last night peacefully in his sleep." Admiral continues. "Sorry if you would excuse me for a minute I'd appreciate that." I get up off the chair in his office heading straight out the door towards the restrooms.

"Bradshaw! Wait!" A voice had tried to stop me in my tracks but I wasn't about to let anyone see me cry. "Bradshaw wait up!" The voice called agin this time sounding a bit more familiar. And arm soon gripped around my upper arm and my eyes dart back to see who it was. "Micheal please just leave me in fine." I sigh. Micheal is fanboys actual name but most times if not often I call him either Mickey or by his call sign. "Look, Britney I know what happened, I just wanted to find out if your ok." He tells me cupping my face. I stare for a few seconds not realising I am. "I'm fine." I snap out of it, I wasn't about to fall under fanboy's charm today especially not now. I turn and walk away. "No your not." He pulls me back. I couldn't hold it in anymore, all my life I never really had anyone to cry to, since mom died years ago and dad died when I was little so the only person I had was Bradley but it's not like he really cared, he was always the one who never ever cried. All I could do was just cry, as he pulled me into his chest wrapping his arms around me. "It's ok I got you." He kissed the top of my head. Next was the part I hated most, funerals, I had been going to them all my life, with dads and moms and so many more, it was like it was endless, like you never know who your going to loose next.

———————

"Charlotte you look beautiful." I look in awe of one of my best friends. "Thank you." She smiles back. Charlotte is Tom's daughter, and we have been best friends since birth. "Uhh your so lucky you get to wear what you want I'm stuck in this uniform all day." I complain. "Well I did warn you about joining the navy years ago." She shrugs making me chuckle. Recently since Toms passing I have been really upset and people have noticed a change in my personality. "Come on Brit we're going to be late. She rushes outside towards the black Bentley parked. Her family always had money especially due to her dad, but when mom died, Toms wife, Sarah made sure that I never felt left out or anything, which worked because I never did. "Come on get in!" She rushed me as I tried to sort out my hair at the front door.

———————

The American flag was lifted off Kazansky's coffin and guns were fired to mark respect. They folded the flag together and Admiral passed it to Sarah saluting after placing it in her arms. Then maverick appeared band he stood at the end of the coffin as he took his Top Gun badge off balancing it in the middle of it, before slamming a hand onto it making it sit flat. He looked up saluting in respect with tears clearly welling in his eyes. He also had a close relationship with him, Tom was clearly there for everyone, he met. Planes soon flew over marking the majority of the ceremony was over.

——————

After he was buried we headed to penny's bar and ate and drunk for hours. By the near end of the night many were drunk , one of which was fanboy. Most had already left and I was just about to go home. Hangman was sat trying to flirt with some girl which was miserably failing. "Oh come on hangman we all know she doesn't like you!" I shout from the other side of the bar. "You think your funny Bradshaw?" He stands up coming over to me. "I mean, yeah I would say so." I sarcastically chuckle. "Oh really..." His hand slowly moves to my face pushing back a loose strand of hair. "Oh Jake fuck off." I slap his hand away from my face. "You know you love me Bradshaw." He whispers in my ear. "Maybe I do maybe I don't." I shrug, at this point everyone knew that he was drunk. "Is that so..." He raised an eyebrow moving his hand back this time trailing down my body. "Hangman back off man." Fanboy stands in forcefully pushing hangman. "Yo Fanboy chill out!" Payback says trying to calm down the situation which was spiralling out of control quickly. Hangman tried to retaliate with a punch to fanboys cheek. He clearly didn't like this and by now a circle of the remaining people in the bar had now formed with penny still somehow oblivious to the whole situation. Hangman charges at fanboy sending them both onto a near my table, crashing into it with a lot of force. "Hangman just quit it!" I shout but he ignores me because at this point he was now on top of fanboy punching the shit out of him. Thankfully, Maverick stepped in and pulled the two apart exposing the injuries on fanboys face. "All of you, just go home!" Penny shouted from behind the bar. "Are you okay?" I ask observing the minor injuries on his face. "Yeah, I'm fine just a few cuts I guess." He replied. "Hey how about I take you home?" He suggests. "Are you kidding me, you've just had a fight and you want to drive me home." I state. "Well its nearly 1am and I can't let you walk this late." He reasoned. "Honestly you don't have to I'm fine." We exit the bar. "Seriously, I'm not letting you walk." His voice growing more and more demanding. I sigh giving in in defeat and start to follow him to his car.

——————

"Right this is me." I tell him so he can stop the car. I open the car door getting out about to say bye. "Lemme walk you to your door." He opens his door as well. "You know, you didn't have to get me out of that situation with hangman." I said slightly opening my front door. "I know, I just hate when people try and take something that's mine." He mumbled. "Who said I'm yours." I sarcastically said. Upon saying that he pushed me back making me stumble a bit into my house as he let himself in closing the door. "We'll see if you still think the same thing by the end of the night." He grabbed me by the waist picking me up. I wrap my legs around his waist as he did so carrying me upstairs. "Your mine and mine only for tonight."