All Those Little Things

Tom was finally done with his prefect duties and was now making his way towards the astronomy tower. Tom always wondered what would happen if he and Leo were caught together outside after the curfew. How would he feel about that?

He had caught himself off-guard when he had asked Leo to meet him there. He was having an inner battle with himself. A part of him was even angry that he was becoming so dependent on a girl. But he was also very aware of the other part of him who could not wait to hear Leo's voice.

He was never the one to break the rules but once in a while, he wanted to be a bit selfish. He wanted to break a few rules if it meant that he could be with Leo. That very thought scared him. How long did he have until he would completely let go of his hard exterior?

He also wondered how it was easier and easier to accept that he would rather stay with Leo than be anywhere else. There was no going around the fact that he enjoyed her company. He learned to smile at her funny antics. He liked how his heart would beat a bit faster whenever she would look up at him with her big brown eyes. Only a fool would deny it.

He loved the warmth she always managed to bring within him. He appreciated it whenever Leo would grab his hands in order to comfort him. She would always save a few chocolate cookies for him even if it was her favourite. Whenever he would speak, no matter what the topic was, Leo would give him her full attention. Well, except when he would actually try to teach her advanced arithmancy.

All those little things were starting to make Tom miss her presence whenever she wasn't in front of him. It was confusing for him, to feel so much towards just a single person. But he didn't hate it. If it was for that odd girl, Tom would allow his heart to beat a little faster.

Only for her.

He slowed his footsteps as soon as he was near enough to hear Leo quietly singing to herself. It was not one of her obnoxious songs about fishes and sponges. Tom had to strain his ears to hear the melodious words that she was singing. He stood right at the entrance and found Leo standing by the railing of the tower.

He could see only a side of her face but it was a sight worth looking at.

She had her eyes closed. Her messy hair danced with the gentle breeze. She had a hint of a sad smile on her lips as she sang away to her heart's content. The soft moonlight illuminated her face, making her glow in the darkness. Her head was swaying from side to side along with the music.

She looked ethereal in Tom's eyes.

He could help but hide and listen to the beautiful words that sounded so pleasant in her voice.

How could I know
One day I'd wake up feeling more
But I had already reached the shore
Guess we were ships in the night
Night, night

She hummed softly leaving Tom to wonder what the words of the song meant.

He slowly started walking towards her until he was right behind her. Sensing his presence, Leo stopped singing all at once. She smiled up at him and gestured for him to stand beside her.

"Don't stop singing," Tom mumbled.

Leo tilted her head, clearly flustered from embarrassment, "What do you mean? It was just some song."

"Well, I would like to hear you sing that song. Finish it," Tom demanded although it was meant to sound like a request.

Leo fidgeted in her place before clearing her throat, "Well, this is a bit awkward."

Nonetheless, she finally started singing again while Tom stared at the black lake beneath them.

I'm wondering
Are you my best friend
Feel's like a river's rushing through my mind
I wanna ask you
If this is all just in my head
My heart is pounding tonight
I wonder