Saved

Hirotsu POV

It wasn't unusual for people to owe money to The Port Mafia. And it certainly wasn't unusual for me or another member of the black lizard to be called in to "take care" of those people. What was unusual, however, was the fact that I had to trail this particular couple for at least 2 days before eliminating them. As you would assume it was usually just a "Hit and Run" but for some reason he was told to simply "keep an eye on them after you first meet. They have two days to pay off their debt left but we know they can't pay it. Even so we keep our word so we're giving them their two days."

Given this was more of a stealth mission I wondered why this job wasn't given to Gin but I later found out that she wasn't available until later on the second night and then would be leaving for a job the next day.

While trailing them I realised that as soon as they thought they were out of the public eye their smiles would fade and they would start yelling at each other, sometimes throwing items or slapping or even punching the other. What was weird was that nobody ever heard them despite being quite loud.

It was like whenever they raised their voice loud enough for others to hear, a blanket would fall over the house or the area they were standing in. I only noticed this because I got carried away with a phone call from one of the executives and was late to the house on the second night. It was strangely quiet as I approached but as soon as I got to the window and looked inside it was like a door had been opened and suddenly I could hear all the crashes and shouting.

I came to the conclusion that one of them had to be gifted with a sound ability. If they were able to make sounds louder, cornering them would still draw attention and in the middle of a rural area people would be able to hear the gunshots and call the police before the exit could be cleared. The executives must have suspected as much but they probably wanted to confirm it before they called any major shots.

As I turned to leave so I could request Gin do it early this morning a new voice I hadn't heard the night before spoke between the crashes. It was small, childlike.

"Mum? Dad? What's going on?" The sound of skin against skin followed quickly by a yelp caused me to turn quickly. There, on the ground, was a small child clutching their cheek.

"What are you doing out of your bed, Brat! I thought we told you to stay in your bedroom unless we came to get you." The one adult growled.

"But I-" The child began only to have a hand brought across their other cheek. The small thing finally let the tears they had been holding back flow down their cheeks and both "parents" stared down at the child.

"Don't speak back to your parents! Return to your room before we take away a meal tomorrow" The child nods in defeat, tears streaming down their face and they stumble to their room which I quickly take note of and try to find a window to the room.

If this couple were doing things like that or even worse to that kid I wasn't going to wait around for another day. And considering I hadn't seen the child at any of the meals the couple had together either it greatly concerned me. I made my way around the house and stop just outside the completely blacked out window to what I assumed to be the kid's room.

Why was I concerned about this kid? My mission is to kill the couple as their payment to the Port Mafia but what would happen to the child? They have nothing to do with their parent's debt. They would probably go to one of those crappy orphanages and if their parent was gifted maybe the kid is too. Would anyone even adopt a gifted child?

I sigh as I push against the window. Why did I think it wasn't going to be locked. I place my hand on the lock. Hopefully I only blast the lock and not the entire window, or I'll have a whole new problem to deal with.