CHAPTER 18: Disrespect

I have never in my life let a man disrespect me, verbally or physically, and that will never change

I have never in my life let a man disrespect me, verbally or physically, and that will never change. I feel very strongly about this because it's something my mother instilled in me and that I have instilled in my daughters. 

Yolanda Hadid

----

I had my doubts about how the dress looked on me but then I stopped myself from having those thoughts.

Am I living to please others or myself?

If I say yes to the first part then everything about me revolves around others. The way I dress, how I behave, and what I say are to please others, to receive their approval.

But if I say yes to the last part then I do everything in my power to like myself. And I came to realize that pleasing myself is easier than pleasing others and way more fulfilling.

When Luke called me beautiful it made me feel invincible. His words had me blushing for a while.

It was a great night so far and I met a lot of people.

But things went downhill too fast.

"No eres lo que Luke suele tener a su lado (You're not what Luke usually keeps by his side)" Mariano said, giving me a look that made me feel uncomfortable.

"Perdon? (Pardon?)" I was confused by the strange remark.

"Lo conozco de hace años y las chicas a las que se suele tirar son más...hmm...bonitas (I've known him for years and the girls he usually sleeps with are more...hmm...beautiful)" I couldn't believe my ears.

"Creo que hay una confusión, no tenemos esa clase de relación (I think there's been a misunderstanding, we don't have that kind of relationship)" I felt quite offended by his remark.

"No? Entonces qué haces aquí? ¿Estás aquí para dormir con él y conseguir un puesto en la empresa? ¡Yo te lo puedo dar también! (No? Then what are you doing here? Are you here to sleep with him and get a job in the company? I can give it to you too)" I felt disgusted and the urge to run away was huge.

"Sr. Mariano, yo ya trabajo en la empresa en el departamento de marketing. Luke ya me ha introducido. (Mr. Mariano, I already work in the company in the marketing department. Luke already introduced me)"

"Ah, es que estaba demasiado ocupado admirando tu cuerpo para escuchar. Si vienes conmigo yo te puedo ofrecer un puesto más alto. (Oh, I was too occupied admiring your body to pay attention. If you come with me I can offer you a higher position.)" And that was the final straw. The thing that made me sick in the stomach.

"I'm back," Luke said a few seconds later but I couldn't fake my state.

He must have realized that something wasn't right the moment he saw my face.