11 | warm aftertoons

CHAPTER - 11

"Since half of the day is gone, we will spend the rest few hours here only. You are allowed to saunter around but try to stay where we can see you. We are going to start distributing refreshments, wait for your cue", Mrs instructed the students.

She turned towards the foldable table with cartons of refreshments filled on top. She picked up her group list and started calling out names and ticking them as they received their refreshments.

Vrishti stood with her friends and the newest addition standing along with them with his hands tucked in the front pockets of his white-washed blue jeans.

She thought of the strange man and the even stranger encounter.

"It was really good what you did back there", Shayon stated genuinely jutting his thumb into the forest assumably towards the accident point implying the volunteering.

Vrishti looked up from a patch of mossy ground, she had been staring at and it took her a few moments to absorb her surroundings when she responded, "Uh-yeah so did you".

Shayon had volunteered too, he was one of the students who helped the injured women out of the car. Vrishti was so occupied with everything happening around her that she had only noticed him when he had joined her on their way back from the accident area.

"V, I am proud of you", Lee patted Vrishti's shoulder saying the nickname Naaz used for Vrishti while he imitated the former and wiped on his invisible tears.

Naaz punched lightly on his shoulder her pastel green hijab fluttering with the movement while everyone laughed at this.

"The Forest Department should look after the incidents occurring now and then. The place is really beautiful and the animals could really use some professional caretakers or else they might always be in threat", Namrita added thoughtfully.

"Humans are the biggest threat ", mumbled Vrishti, the words left her lips like the mellow breeze on a warm afternoon, it could be felt but one couldn't quite decipher it.

Nobody could catch what she had said," huh? What did you say?", Namrita looked at her dazed friend.

"What did I say?", Vrishti frowned in confusion.

"That -", before Namrita could finish with her question Shayon took their attention.

"Guys, it's our turn now", he informed looking towards the food table.

Lee sighed in relief while rubbing on his probably growling stomach as he took in the scent of bread, vegetables, and all the different flavored sauces, "I don't know about you all, but I am really hungry".

He strode towards the food stable with purpose in his steps and soon everyone followed.

"I don't know if I am hungry or this resort people really make good sandwiches", Naaz amused while stuffing a lettuce leaf in between the bread loaves.

"No these are actually good", Shayon added before taking a big bite of the sandwich.

Naaz nodded as her eyes skimmed over her friends when she realized, "Wait! Where is Vrishti?"