28 | midnight hues

CHAPTER: 28

Vrishti tried to move the tiger's head on the armrest of the throne as Vidhyut had told her, she tapped on it, then twisted it anti-clockwise then along the clock, and this time the walls rumbled in response, and as if the mahal came to life.

The ground shook for some moments as if the earth was shifting beneath her and after the shaking stopped, she noticed a passage had opened right behind the throne, it was small and low as if to hide it from the prying eyes.

She bent forward to look inside but could see nothing because of the darkness, she could hear the wind going in through the narrow passage and creating sounds which relieved her that the passage still had an opening.

She contemplated going inside when the encounter from last time crossed her mind, how she held onto Vidhyut as he helped her to come out of the dark passage, that felt so long ago, the remembrances from Varsha's memories also crossed her mind but she didn't probe more for they didn't belong to her.

She wondered if the warm feeling she felt in her chest when she thought of him was the consequence of her growing fondness for him or if it was the effect of Varsha's recollections.

She was in turmoil but whatever may be the reason for her growing love for that mysterious being, she had to complete the purpose for both Vidhyut and her mother's sake.

mother

Vrishti's last moment with her mother came to her and wrapped her in a warm blanket of comfort. She was grateful for herself but tears welled up in her eyes for Varsha who never got to feel her mother's warmth.

Nonetheless the former was happy that Varsha had a loving father just like her own.

papa (father)

She missed her father, she wanted to go home. She looked at her bruised and crimson hands as they felt cold without the hand she had holding these past few days whenever darkness seemed to overwhelm her.

She wiped at her damp cheeks and pressed her lips when a loud cry seemed to escape her throat, the room had been too silent, she didn't want to break it. She took a deep breath and calmed herself.

okay, we can do this!

She put a step inside but felt no ground when her other foot slipped and she went down into the darkness.

❀ ❀

The sound of peacocks and cuckoo-s in the distance awakened her, the wind was in its fury as it blew everything that came in its way.

Vrishti opened her eyes slowly, her eyelids felt heavy, and her body ached all over.

She opened her eyes as a groan left her lips, there were bruises all over her body, she slowly lifted her head from the trunk of the tree and her eyes fell on the passage opening, she might have gotten flung down here from the sliding passage.  

Groaning she picked herself up and sat against the tree trunk, the raincoat she had on her body was torn at different places but she kept it on.

She could see the dark clouds coming toward the Ruins, they absorbed all the light the sun had to offer and darkness was coming toward her. The wind had become more relentless now, the loose tendrils framing her face whipped on her skin, so she gathered her hair up in a tight bun and moistened her chapped lips as she started on her journey.

The rain had started, followed by the lightning and the forest was in chaos as she went against the current, the drops fell on her face like sharp whips and she was reminded of one of the dreams she had seen from Varsha's recollections.

She conjured her strength and went as fast as she could and as if her feet knew where to go, it led her to the end of the forest, by the banks of the narrow stream, the one separating Raya and Vaisallie.

The land on the other side of the stream didn't feel foreign rather it was Varsha's birthplace and the place where her body rested.

As she neared the stream, she realized how the water had been overflowing the banks, and all the muddy waters from the forest drained down in it as it went in the opposite direction where she probably had to reach.

Fate might have been testing her determination as the rain and wind increased its merciless exposition, a white light flashed through the sky and she knew, she looked above probably from where she had been watched, and smiled.

This one didn't reach her eyes as it normally did, brightening up her whole face rather there was a midnight hue smudged underneath her tired eyes filled with determination.

She moved her eyes to the other side of the stream in the direction, probably where the tree with yellow flowers stood and stepped forward to the overfilled bank.

you started it but i shall be the one who ends this

A loud 'thwack' followed in the rushing water of the stream.

"Where are they?!", Vidhyut moved around frantically as he paced in the main room of the Soul Sanctuary.

"I need to speak to the Almighty, it's really important", he spoke again, his emotions seem to overwhelm him as other staffers held onto him

"You've just come back soul XXXX, you should rest for a while", an elderly voice explained to him.

He struggled even more then somehow he freed himself and banged on the Almighty's cabin door. After two loud hits, the door swung open and he fell inside.

He raised his head and found the Almighty standing before him and he scrambled for his plea to be heard, " Almighty!  Almighty, please listen to me this once, just give me one rotation of the sun more, I beg you. I beg you".

"Son I have given you the time, it was required and I didn't even speak anything when you broke the rules of the Universe because I understood but I shan't be
gracious anymore or the other present here might forget me for who I am", they explained in his calm voice.

They understood what their child had been going through, but it couldn't be helped. They took a deep sigh before they gave their next verdict.

"I think, we have surpassed the time, we can't wait any longer. It's time I return the energy I asked from your Mother star back to it".

Vidhyut widened his eyes, and he went even more frantic, "No! No please don't do this. Please give me some more time, you don't have to send me back but please wait some more. I am sure she will do it,  I believe in her. I do", he mumbled the last part to himself.

Something struck him and broke out of his reverie and met the Almighty's eyes.

Turmoil was apparent in his eyes when he asked, "Is it true? Is the past not how I remember? Was it all a lie?"

❀ ❀ ❀ 

I can't believe, I am the one writing this, and after years of procrastinating finally, this beautiful creation f mine is coming to an end. Lemme know what you think of how everything is unfolding. You see, I am dying of anticipation here, please help this worried author ;)