23 | black moon

CHAPTER: 23

"it's me"

The familiar voice relieved her. The clouds in the sky were clearing up a little as the moonlight fell on his smudged edges and she moved towards it.

She stepped in the moonlight but her feet couldn't carry her weight as a sharp pain immobilized her and she fell on the floor with a thud, the chair behind her banged the desk. She clasped the white cotton fabric of the tee just above her heart when it throbbed in pain even more sharply.

Vidhyut's brown eyes lost their glow as a mist of worry coated them. The moonlight behind them was fading again, a black halo had started to cover the circumference of the moon as the throbbing intensified.

Vidhyut uncertainly took a step forward when his eyes moved where she had clutched her tee, a soft glow outlined on her skin in a curvilinear contour.

His brown eyes widened when he saw the blurring edges of her figure, a wispy outline appeared over her opaque one.

no, it can't be-oh heavens! it's impossible

a soul

It tried to push through its boundaries made of flesh and bones, its abode. Its limbs made of air and energy stretched toward him while it struggled to break free.

Vrishti couldn't take it, she cried, she screamed but no voice left her lips. Her insides ached and felt as if something was ripping apart, her muscles clenched in pain her bones shuddered in anticipation, and shut her eyes with the overwhelming sensation. The black moon with its illuminating rims in the night sky watched it all prevail.

Vidhyut couldn't comprehend what was happening when a voice called out, the voice might belong to the mortal struggling before him but it was the soul that called him.

Maybe it was the way it called, the tiny pause after each syllable, and how the 'h' and 'y' molded into each other it pronounced his name, he knew.

"Vars-"

Even before he could call out to her, to his premika, it all ended before it could even start. With a piercing cry, the soul struggles ended, and Vrishti's body slumped down on the ground.

Vidhyut rushed to her and help her in his arms, "Var-", he tried again but the syllables melted on his tongue before he could pronounce it out, with a frustrated sigh he called for the real owner of the body, "Vrish-Vrishti! Vrishti! wake up", he palmed her flushed cheeks.

The moonlight clearly fell on them, and as he held till she gained consciousness, her skin was warm against his body, he found it strange but didn't pay it much attention as so many thoughts went through him.

what could it mean?

He wondered the reason the Almighty sent him during this century and period as if it was their way to compensate if he was unable to find the mortal remains of his Varsha because, even though she got incarnated again, she wasn't his premika.

She was a different person, a result of the Nirvana cycle with a purpose of her own in this world, one whom he couldn't call 'his'. It was only possible if the Almighty allows it and for that, he has to find Varsha.