Chapter 7

Draco was on his way to drop the usual stack of paperwork off to Hermione. It was usually about lost creatures or abuse to a creature, but today there was a paper that his boss said impacted both of them.

Once Draco got to her office he was surprised to find her lights completely off and the door locked. "Sorry Mr. Malfoy, Ms. Granger isn't in today so any paperwork you have for her should be given to me." said Hermione's assistant, Destiny, as she walked up to Draco.

"Well I think one of these regards me as well but I shall give you the rest." Draco said looking up from the papers to find the eyes of Destiny locked with his. Destiny is quite attractive in his eyes. She had a toned body, strawberry blonde curly hair, big eyes, and a sharp face. She was only a year younger than Draco, but almost a foot shorter.

The way she looked at him made it obvious she was interested. Destiny gathered confidence and pulled his head down until their lips met. Draco kissed back and they backed toward her desk so someone walking by the hallway couldn't see them. Draco wasn't usually one to turn away on a pretty woman, but something just felt wrong. As he began to think about it more, he pulled away. "What's wrong?" she asked with a rejected look in her eyes.

"Sorry I just can't do this at work." He lied, but he didn't want to let her down by telling her 'something just felt wrong.' He went back to the paperwork he set on her desk. "Let me just find the one that involves me and I will be on my way." He said digging through the papers till he found one with his and her name printed at the top then he just left.

Once he got back to his office, he sat at his desk with his head in his hands. He usually would've had his hands all over that girl, but he just couldn't, and for some reason every time he asked himself why Hermione's image showed in his mind.

At first he went to the idea that it was because that was her assistant. He had to be professional around her and didn't want to break protocol. This was obvious not why. If that old lady still worked in that office, he would've definitely did something with the assistant without second thought.

Then he thought it was because he wanted to prove to Hermione he was better than before. This is more plausible but no. He could've just had a relationship with her assistant and that wouldn't have made him seem like a jerk at all. Plus rejecting her probably made him seem worse than if he would've gave in.

This shouldn't have anything to do with Hermione, this should be about Destiny, but yet her face kept circling in his mind. The only other explanation was that he liked her, but that could never be possible. Its true he did have some feelings for he back in school. Just a never going to happen attraction from far away. The more he sat with his head in his hands the more his mind came to the same conclusion.

He looked up with a start. I like Hermione Granger.

Then his mind thought more. Where is she today? What are these papers about? Would she ever like me back?

Once his mind was finally back to its professional state he started to look at the paperwork. It was about missing house elves. It was weird that they still talked about house elves as if they were someone's property even though all elves today are free and just work for people because for most of them that is all they have ever known.

The crime happened in two different houses and the only thing connected these 2 issues is a broken heart painted in horse's blood on both family's front doors. They were both in different towns. Different families. Not related nor were these two friends. Just a single broken heart that connected these two crimes.

As he read more and more his anticipation to tell Hermione grew and he knew he had to go to her. He remembered her address from when she flooed him to her house, so he decided this was an appropriate time to use it.