12. Stay

I was laying in Steve's bed as he was doing some paperwork, "You staying here tonight?" He asked,

"No, I shouldn't leave Max by herself, you can come stay with me though." I said

"Sure, let me finish this, then we can go."

~~~~~

Eddie wasn't home, maybe he took my advice and worried about his girlfriend or whatever she is, not that I care, I don't care, not at all, nope, nada, no sir.

Steve and I walked into the house and Max was watching TV on the couch, "Hey kiddo, you eat yet?" She shook her head no and I looked through the fridge, "frozen pizza okay with you guys?" They both said yeah. I slapped that puppy in the oven and told Steve to watch it while I showered.

I walked into my room in a towel and Steve quickly walked in and shut the door, "You've already seen me naked, nothing new, stupid ass." I laughed, he looked at me and hugged me, I hugged him back,

'Tell us who you work for?' A Russian man said to Steve,

'I don't work for anyone!' Steve yelled and proceeded to get the shit beat out of him, Jesus..

"Something happen?" I asked as he hugged me

"I disappeared, and didn't say a word. I'm really sorry." He apologized

"It's okay. I know you couldn't help it." I said, he kissed my forehead, we looked at each other in an embrace, "Steve.."

"Sloane.." he said but he started to back away,

"No.. stay.. please." I said and he did, I gently kissed him, what the hell was I doing..

Ringggggg, the timer was going off for the pizza, "I should go get that." He said and let go, he walked out of my room and I got dressed.

I don't even like Steve like that.. maybe it was the comfort and security he gave me because he knew what happened over the years. I wish I could tell Eddie, but it puts him in danger.

~~~~

I woke up and Steve was in bed next to me, he usually sleeps late, I knew he didn't have to work today, I got up and rubbed my eyes, I should probably make breakfast, Max was passed out on the couch, there was a knock at the door and i quickly opened it before it woke her up, "Lucas.." I said and walked outside closing the door, "What's up?"

"Max isn't home, is she here?" He asked and I nodded, "Can you give this to her?" He handed me a note, "I'd give it to her myself but she's been avoiding me, thank you," he said,

"Hey Lucas?" I said as he started to walk away and he turned around, "Quit being a basketball douche, they only use you as a bench warmer." I walked back inside and laid the note in front of Max for her to see it when she woke up. I started to cook some eggs and bacon, hopefully enough to make them not hungry.

Steve got up and walked into the living area/kitchen, he stretched and sat in the loveseat, I put breakfast on the tiny table in the kitchen, Steve ate and eventually Max woke up and ate too. "Why don't you guys date?" She asked, "Same traumatic experience, have a lot in common, already act like your dating."

My eyes widened and Steve was laughing, "Max we don't feel that way for each other." Steve said and she didn't look convinced, "We're best friends, that's it."

She looked a little sad, her only 'girl friend' was El, I knew she had trouble making friends, too closed off.

~~~~

Steve and I sat around for most the day, I think Max went to go skateboard somewhere, "You staying again tonight?" I asked

"Yeah if that's fine with you." He said and I nodded

"Call Robin and ask her if she wants to, I know your her ride to school." I said as I ate some popcorn, I could see out my window that Eddie walked some girl out of his house, I think it was the blonde one from his memory I saw. "You think they're dating?"

Steve looked out the window, "Eh, maybe, I always see him avoid her in the parking lot." He said and I sighed, "Robin said she's on her way. I'm gonna go shower while she takes forever to get here."

"I could've picked her up, I feel bad because she's biking here now." I laughed and he shrugged, after 40 minutes she finally arrived, "I would've came and got you."

"Nah, I like exercise, it helps with band a lot." She huffed and fell on the couch, I smiled and laughed a bit.

~~~~school

I sat with Steve by his car with Robin, I watched Eddie avoid the blonde girl and look at me, she watched me too. I don't want any problems with her, hopefully she won't cause any. I looked at Steve who was looking at Nancy, "she's got a boyfriend.." I said

"What? I wasn't looking at her." He said sternly and I rolled my eyes and so did Robin.

"Alright we gotta get to class." I said and hugged Steve, "see you later, loser." I smiled and he waved bye

~~~~

I walked into the empty art room and looked at my painting, it looked like.. the thing that killed Billy, why am I painting this?

"What's that?" Eddie said and i nearly jumped out of my skin, "Sorry.."

"Jesus dude! Scared the hell out of me!" I said and tried calming down, "It's- it's something I saw in a dream." I said and he looked at me, "You can go now."

"I don't get why we can't talk.." he said, "That girl, means nothing.."

I huffed, "I saw her leaving your trailer yesterday."

"She was buying stuff off me."

"That's why you fucked her?" I said and he looked at me,

Shouldn't have said that. "How do you know about that?"

" I don't."

"You do. How?"

"I don't know.." I said, that was the truth, I don't know why it happens when I touch people. I don't know why I keep dreaming about the number 2 or someone being called 2.

He sighed, "I miss you, dude."

"Why? I've been nothing but mean." I scoffed as I put my painting away and grabbed a blank canvas

He sat on the counter behind me, "You get me, you get my humor, i know you've been upset, I understand that, but I want to be here for you."

"I have Max.." I said as I started painting

"I can't imagine how she feels, I can't imagine how you feel." He said with sympathy. I ignored him and continued painting, he watched me for 20 minutes, I sort of zoned out. "Who is that?" He asked and i snapped back into reality. It was a very fleshy looking dude, he had vine/tentacle things around him, there was a clock too.

My body felt really tense, "I don't know, I sort of.. zoned out there.." I put the paint down and put the painting away.

I never walked quicker out of a classroom.

END OF CHAPTER

WORD COUNT: 1203

Tried to get them talking again but I love torturing you guys with the slow burn :) jk it's killing me too, hope you enjoyed <3