Two

Two

A Past Revealed

" It must be here," I say, walking up to a massive black gate. I looked around and saw a shiny black sign that read: Blackburrow Manor. I went to push the gate open when suddenly it jerked itself open and a gust of wind blew past me. " Whoa!" I gasped, catching my breath. I walked up the path towards the massive dark oak door with strange writing carved into it. As soon as I touched it, the strange carved writing began to glow a bright shade of green. " What the hell!" I exclaimed. The now glowing door slowly began to open almost as if the house itself was beckoning me inside.

Tentatively I began walking towards the door's threshold. Inside it was very dark and had the smell of mold and rotting moss. "Seems that you've received my message, young master Dax ." A deep old voice sounded behind me. I spun around startled. " Ahh! What the freak!" I shouted. " My apologies, I didn't mean to frighten you." He said as he went to light a lamp.

The darkness hid the majority of his features but with the light on he looked about 50. He wore black slacks and a white button-up shirt with gray dress shoes. " Who are you and how do you know my name?" I ask my questions in a rush. " My name is Edwin Blackthorn and I was your mother's butler."

Suddenly the room around me seemed small as what he just said couldn't be true. My mom? What? My parents abandoned me when I was 6. He has to be lying. " No, you're lying that can't be true! If that's the case then why say something now!?" I shouted at him hyperventilating. It's as if my world has been turned upside down. He didn't say anything else, instead, he walked over to a painting with more strange writing carved on the border.

When he touched it started to glow blue instead of green and the painting shifted open and revealed a hidden compartment where Edwin pulled out two things: A strange book and an envelope stamped by a strange sigil. "Here if you won't believe me then maybe this will." I took the envelope and book and went to open it. Inside the envelope was handwriting I haven't seen in ages. This is without a doubt my mother's writing. The letter read:

My sweet Vara, If you're reading this that means you're all grown up and I'm gone. If you're wondering why I abandoned you when you were younger I have to tell you what I am- what you are. We are from a generation of people who were gifted with strange and powerful abilities. By ancient beings who only appear every 1200 years to gift a generation of people to stop the crystal from getting into the wrong hands. I have entrusted you with a new home and a butler who will teach you how to harness your abilities. If you're also wondering why I left you with those other children is because they too are just like you and hold the key to keeping the Ogian Diamond contained. The book that I put with this letter is the magic grimoire that will help you learn new and old spells. But be careful this is no ordinary book it holds its consciousness. Forming a bond with it and its power will help you grow stronger. To release the protection seal I placed on it tap the carvings edged onto the front as only you and those closest to you can interact with it. Please treat my butler well. He is very nice and trustworthy. With all the love across the world, Your Mom.

As I finished reading it I looked at Edwin with new eyes. This butler has been serving my mom for years. He might know what happened to her. I'll take you up on your proposal mom, as this was your last wish. " Thanks for showing me this, it means a lot, my mother would be proud." He looked at me and smiled. " I guess I'll be back with the others then?" I asked. Edwin nodded and went to open the door for me. I thanked him once again and left for the orphanage.

Once I arrived at the orphanage I mentally prepared myself to tell them what happened and that we were going to be living in a new home. I knocked on the door and was greeted by Jonah who glanced down at the book and letter. Jonah, go wake the twins up. I have something important to tell everyone. Jonah nodded and dashed up the creaking steps. 5 minutes later all 4 of us were standing in the shabby living room, the twins bleary-eyed.

" Guys, I have something very important to tell you." I said as I began telling them what happened at the Blackburrow Manor as well as re-reading mom's letter. When I had finished everyone just looked at me " Vora are you sure this guy isn't lying to you?" Jonah asks, breaking the awkward silence. " Yes I'm very sure, this letter proves everything he told me. I can recognize my mom's handwriting anywhere." He nodded but I could tell he was still processing the situation. " Look, tomorrow morning we'll be moving there because I have to find out who I am and who my mother was so everyone goes get some shut-eye."

They nodded and went back upstairs. I just sat down on the old wooden floor and touched the carved writing as mom instructed and the words began to glow bright green and it opened revealing pages and pages of writing that I could barely understand. Just then I heard a soft whispering in the back of my mind. " Hello, Vara Dax. I am Thorn, your Grimoire and friend." As it spoke I remembered what mom wrote in the letter about this book being alive so I spoke back tentatively. " H-hi, How do you know my name?" I asked quietly. The whispering voice in my head grew a little louder. " I was created by your mother using your DNA. She told me that one day I would be meeting you and that I'll become strong as you become strong." I flipped through the pages looking at all the different pictures of the spells I'll be learning. "Well, it's nice to meet you, Thorn." I responded. Suddenly I felt a slight itch on my right hand as a light green symbol appeared. " This symbol is called a crest and is used as a pathway for essence. It is also a place to hold your grimoire when not in use." As he said this the book disappeared and the crest glowed softly. As the light dimmed I decided to go to sleep as tomorrow morning I'll be living in a new home.