Ten

Ten

                              Evolution                                 

                                                The next day I continued practicing my essence control and learned two new skills: Herbal Blessing: Can create medicinal herbs that can heal almost any flesh wound, and Nature's Cradle: Creates a soft bed out of silk leaves that can momentarily heal several wounds while keeping the patient alive and asleep. " Finally some healing skills for once." I sighed aloud. Just then Jonah came down and asked me to help him train. " Sure, lemme see your skills." I reply, gesturing  for him to activate his crest. As he did the room suddenly became pitch black. " Whoa! Jonah, what's the deal with this darkness every time you activate your essence?" I ask him once the darkness dissipates.  " I honestly don't know, it was fine before we left for the exam yesterday but during one of the exams where we had to demonstrate our essence that's when it started happening." He explained, his eyes downcast at his grimoire.

I'll have to ask Edwin about it later, I thought to myself making a mental note.
I looked through Jonah's grimoire and saw a few skills that looked very questionable but I didn't inquire any further. " So what do you need help with exactly?" I ask him. He points to one skill in particular: Black Hole: 'Opens a massive hole of pure shadow pulling in anything the user chooses to.' It reads. I looked at Jonah and asked "You sure?" He nodded, determination etched across his features.

" So to activate a skill you first close your eyes and imagine your skill taking shape." I explained, the memories of  how I activated my first skill bubbling to the surface. He nodded and did as I instructed closing his eyes, concentration etching lines in his forehead. Suddenly the air around us began to thin as a tear in reality formed as a massive black hole opened before us. My lungs began to strain with the lack of air as the hole opened wider, almost engulfing the entire room. I tapped Jonah's arm to get his attention but unfortunately he didn't respond.

" Jonah! Wake up!" I shout, my voice almost a whisper, as my vision began to blur Jonah opened his eyes but instead of its usual soft gray they were a terrifying and deep black that was when he passed out and the massive black hole began to fade. I called Edwin down and explained everything he nodded to me and picked Jonah up with surprising ease. " I'll take him to the manors infirmary, when you get changed, meet me there." That was when I noticed that my clothes were slightly ripped and torn from the vacuum of the black hole. I nodded my confirmation and raced to my room to change, the incident still playing in my head.

When I had finished changing my clothes I headed towards the infirmary across the hall from Edwin's study room. I knocked on the door. "Come in Vara." Edwin's voice rang through the door. I opened it and slowly walked in. It was your typical sterile infirmary with white covering  almost everything. I looked at Jonah and my heart almost stopped dead In my chest.

Jonah's body was completely covered in a massive black shell. I touched the surface and immediately regretted it as a jolt of icy cold pain shot up my arm. "Ahh! I yelped, jumping a few steps back. " What the hell happened to him?!" I exclaimed exasperated. Edwin didn't look at me as he began to explain. " Every essence user has a different essence type right?" He inquired. I nodded waiting for him to continue. " Jonah's essence is one of the first elements which is extremely powerful if he doesn't use his essence. " My mind went back to the first moments we were in the orphanage and how Jonah seemed a little off. I just brushed it aside as teenage angst but now I see why. " Essence is the lifeblood of our ancestors the ershas. Well if an ersha has a relationship with a deity their child will become a hybrid and reach his full potential once he begins to use his essence." Edwin tells me his eyes look distant.

I looked down at the strange black cocoon. " So what happens when he breaks out?" I ask , half not wanting the answer. Edwin then looked at me, his dark blue eyes filled with sadness that  catches me by surprise. " He evolves into his true form." He said his tone grave.