Chapter:06

"So you gave Lance a broken—"

"Almost"

"—jaw?" Liam completely ignored Louis' interruption as his eyebrows rose in bewilderment.

"You're the definition of whipped Tomlinson" Jade snorted.

"Shut up Jade" he mumbled, poking the melting ice cream in the bowl on his lap.

"What happened though, we've never seen you /this/ angry Lou" Zayn says, eyeing his best friend with a suggestive look.

Louis sighed, trying to collect his thoughts as he tried formulating them into believable words.

"It's- I just felt this sudden urge to protect him okay? I have no idea what came over me but there was this - ugh - look in his eyes that made me lose my mind and throw myself at Lance. And I don't know how to explain this without sounding like a lovesick idiot." he huffs, pushing the fringe back from his forehead as he places the bowl on the bedside table.

Zayn smirked from where he was leaning on the doorway.

"Our Lou's all grown up" Jade sniffs, wiping away faux tears as she and Liam make a whole show out of his heartfelt speech. Zayn chuckles and shakes his head.

"Lou just tell him how you feel, it's pretty clear you're down bad" he says

The thing is Louis wants to. He wants to tell Harry how he's been feeling for the past year and a half and how over that time his feelings have done nothing but grow ten times in his heart.

He wants to tell Harry how beautiful he is, he wants to curl up under the taller boy's arms and call him his.

But every time he tries to muster up the courage and speak to Harry, the memories and the flashbacks start spinning at a maddening pace in his head, making it difficult to get the words out of his mouth.

No matter how hard he tried to move on, his past always held him back from making a fresh start. While he knew Harry was nothing like him, he still had his anxieties. He makes a sharp intake of breath, tears stinging at the corner of his eyes. He looks up acting aloof but the look in Zayn's eyes is enough to tell him he noticed.

"Lou... you know Harry is not like Charlie right?" Liam's voice cuts through his thoughts, eyes wandering to Jade and Zayn who made small noises in agreement.

"I-.." he stopped, rubbing a hand over his face.

"Hey, I know what happened scared you and it's okay. But this is Harry, Harry who apologized to an ant when he stepped on it yesterday."

Jade scoffed and shook her head. Louis smiled fondly, nodding to Liam's words.

"Can you at least try and talk to him later today at Niall's party?" Jade asks, and Louis knows his friends just want the best for him.

"Fine, no promises though" he says

"That's more than we can ask for right now, be ready by 6." they say and slowly walk out of the room.

"Lou?" Louis looks up, Zayn standing there with his arms folded over his chest.

"It's okay, you can let it out" he says and Louis sucks in a sharp breath. The corner's of his eyes sting as tears blur his vision. He feels the bed dip beside him as Zayn's protective arms wrap around him.

"Z-Z.. it's been so long- I-" he chokes on his own tears as words get caught in his throat.

His forehead pressed against Zayn's chest as tears dampen his white shirt. His fingers tremble as they clutch Zayn's collar tightly as if he'd let go and fall into the darkness from months before. He doesn't want to revisit that aspect of his life again.