Chapter 4 - Lion Party

It hurt Regulus to admit, but in the month he and James had been tutoring one another- they'd grown close.

Every Thursday became Tuesdays and Thursday and then turned into any night they had free.

They'd spend hours together in the Room of Requirements studying.

James loved to talk, something Regulus was now very aware of.

He wouldn't complain- nor ever admit it- but he loved to listen.

Really if they weren't such a unlikely pair, they might have been friends from the start.

James also didn't sit still for very long.

Regulus had to take him on occasional walks like a dog, just so the boy would stop whining.

Whenever they weren't studying- which was a lot more often then Regulus would have liked- they were talking.

Talking about anything and everything.

Simple things like each other's hobbies and likes.

Occasionally, James would concoct a deeper question that would have both boys pondering answers.

They were shower thoughts, really. Questions that didn't have a specific answer.

Other times the pair could find themselves outdoors.

There was a field, not too far a walk from Hogwarts.

A field of poppies that Regulus liked to get lost in.

It had once been a sanctuary- to get away from it all- but now that it was common knowledge to James it sort of became their place.

Regulus hated that it had become their place, although the flutter in his chest planned to prove him otherwise.

He wondered how James had managed to get away for such long amounts of time.

James was practically attached to Sirius' hip.

In fact, Regulus can't even remember the last time he saw James without another Marauder around.

Regulus hadn't heard anything from Sirius- or rather he hadn't been hexed yet- which made him curious.

Sure, Regulus thought Sirius would be a little peeved, but it wasn't like they were doing anything bad.

All they were doing was tutoring each other.

So why was James keeping it a secret?

Regulus let the question plague his every thought, even as he studied right beside the boy.

James was twirling his wand throughout his fingers as he and Regulus sat at the wooden table.

Regulus had only looked up for a moment to watch James' movements in slight awe, but a moment was all it took.

James' eyes were on him, as if searching for Regulus' deepest darkest secrets.

Really all he had to do was look in the mirror to see one, but that was something Regulus would take to the grave.

Their eyes were locked on one another for far too long for it not to mean something.

"You should come to the party tonight." James suggested.

Regulus raised his eyebrows, "Party?"

"Yeah, it's a Gryffindor party so you know it'll be a good time." James explained.

"No thanks." Regulus scoffed.

"At least just think about it." James muttered, before looking back down at his notes.