Chapter 9 - Arranged Marriage

The music slowed and couples swayed on the dance floor.

Evan and Amaryllis were slow dancing, giggling at whispered words.

Her hands were around his neck and his on her waist.

Regulus and Barty evacuated to the back corner where they could avoid any gross dancing.

"How about we have a little fun?" Barty suggested with a smirk.

Regulus squinted at the boy, "Depends what you had in mind."

Barty chuckled and disappeared off into the crowd, leaving Regulus to himself.

He watched Evan and Amaryllis wondering why they would want to be so close, why they enjoyed slow dancing.

Regulus wondered what all the fuss was about.

His mind traveled and he pictured dancing.

Dancing close- his arms draped around the boy's neck, pressed against his chest, being held so securely he could never fall apart.

Regulus heart raced. His body grew warmer.

"Here."

Regulus jumped out of his skin as Barty appeared beside him, holding a cup.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare ya." Barty snickered, handing off the cup.

"What is it?" Regulus quizzed.

He brought the cup to his nose and smelled the sour liquid.

"A fun time. Now stop being a twat and drink up." Barty jeered.

Regulus brought the drink to his lips, letting the liquid steam down his throat and leave a slight burn in its path.

He knew it was some concoction of alcohol, Regulus just hoped it wouldn't kill him the next morning.

Regulus knew his mother was somewhere stewing about Amaryllis dancing with Evan and Regulus being no where to be found, but that was a future Regulus problem.

For now he'd just have a little fun.

~

Once the ball ended, Regulus parted with his friends and went on his way to find his mother.

She stood in the entry way, a displeased look fell on her face as she smelled the liquor on him.

Walburga said nothing, grabbed his arm and apperated them home.

Regulus stumbled as she let go, taking deep breaths to avoid throwing up on the drawing room rug.

"I proposed a marriage offer to the Parkinson's." Walburga spoke, dusting herself off.

Regulus knew the Parkinson's wouldn't reject the offer.

With the Black name the Parkinson's wouldn't be a joke. They'd have the status they wanted.

And his mother- she'd secure their pure bloodline.

Regulus was beside himself. He didn't want to marry Amaryllis. He didn't want to marry anyone. He was only a child.

"I don't want to marry Amaryllis." Regulus quipped.

He must have a death wish- he must.

"I don't remember phrasing it as a question." Walburga sneered.

Regulus didn't know why that made him so mad- why the whole situation made him so angry.

What the fuck did Barty put in that drink.