Chapter 15 - The Beginning

James had been so busy studying for the OWLs and Regulus knew he felt bad about how little they were seeing each other.

He made all the time he could for his boyfriend.

Regulus didn't mind. He took all the time he could get, even if they were just falling asleep together.

James strolled into the Room of Requirements, running a hand through his hair.

Regulus brightened at his presence, "Hi."

"Hi, baby", James greeted leaning down to press a kiss to Regulus' lips, "Sorry it took so long. Sirius has been clingy now that he's not spending every second with Remus."

Regulus leaned back in the beanbag, a quill behind his ear.

"How is Remus?" Regulus asked.

"Fine, I think. Still angry at Sirius, but I think they're working on it." James explained.

"That's good." Regulus quipped.

"How about you? How are you, love?" James asked.

"I'm fine. Better now that you're here." Regulus smiled.

"Sorry I haven't been around much-" James started.

"James, stop apologizing. I know how important OWLs are." Regulus assured the boy.

"Maybe I should've just let you tutor me." James huffed.

Regulus scoffed, "You and I both know that no actual studying would have been done."

"I just- I miss you." James muttered plopping in the beanbag beside Regulus.

"I'm right here." Regulus assured.

James intertwined their fingers.

"But you won't be in a week", James whined, "Can't you just spend the summer with me?"

Regulus sighed, "James."

"Regulus."

"What is this really about?" Regulus asked.

There was a pause and James frowned.

"What if she hurts you?" James quizzed.

He averted Regulus' gaze.

Regulus stood from his beanbag and crawled into James' lap, making the boy look at him.

"I'll behave. I'll do what she says and keep my head down." Regulus promised.

"What if something bad happens to you?" James cried.

"I'll write every other week, okay?" Regulus promised, "It'll be okay."

He rested his head on James' shoulder and buried his nose in the boy's neck.

"Okay", James sighed, "But I'll miss you everyday."

Regulus' chuckle was muffled.

"Mmkay." He mumbled.

~

Finally the last day came around and they were leaving.

Regulus had never had to say a goodbye so excruciating.

Saying goodbye to James was like saying goodbye to himself- to all the fun times.

Regulus knew it wasn't deep and they'd be right back on the train in three months time.

Still his heart ached in his chest.

James managed to slip away from his friends and spent the last half hour of the ride with Regulus.