Chapter 8 - Mr. & Mrs. Malfoy

Bad.

Very bad.

Regulus had no idea how bad it could get.

He rolled out of bed around noon.

He was thankful to have avoided any confrontation with his mother, for the past two weeks.

Especially considering it had been just him and his mother for the holiday.

When he'd asked where his father was, 'work' was all he got from his mother.

He wasn't sure how much of that he believed, but brushed it off.

Regulus just had to get through the ball and then he was back at Hogwarts the next day.

Being home was- exhausting. He was constantly worrying when the shoe would drop.

It was too good to be true. The peace.

Regulus rubbed his eyes as he stumbled into the bathroom and turned the knob to the shower.

Hot water hit the cold tile and billows of steam rose up.

Only when the water was scorching did he step into the shower.

He let the water abuse his skin until he walked out pink and numb to the touch.

It probably wasn't healthy, but nothing about him was.

After he dried off he headed back into his room, slipping on whatever clothes he found.

Regulus flopped back onto his bed, reaching for the book on his nightstand- where it'd been left untouched since he arrived.

His eyes scanned the words on the page as he continued reading The Grapes of Wrath. He wasn't sure what had taken him so long.

Regulus' mind traveled to James.

What was he doing right then? Was he thinking about their kiss like Regulus had been?

Oh.

That's why it'd taken so long.

Regulus finished the book with just enough time to get ready for the ball.

He hated the balls and galas his parents dragged him too.

The music was always ancient or classical, which was never any fun to dance to- not that Regulus danced much.

He also hated the people. Every last one of them. They laughed about mistreating their elves and spoke enthusiastically about marrying their children off.

Regulus hated the way his mother made him talk to everyone.

He hated how his mother acted at these events. All snobby as if they didn't live in a dingy old house- as if she had kids who made her proud.

Regulus wished others could see through her, but they were all as fake as her. So he'd just keep wishing.

He combed his hair, straightened out his jacket, and brushed his teeth- again.

A set of knocks echoed in the room and then a pop.

"Mistress is expecting you in the drawing room." Krecher announced.

"Thank you." Regulus muttered as the elf left.

He took one last look in the mirror before heading into the drawing room.

His mother waited for him, in her dark blue- practically black- dress that just reached the floor.

She was wearing more jewelry than Regulus had ever seen on her.