Ch. 6 - Birthday Girl

I stood in front of my bathroom mirror as I pulled my shirt over my head, the bottom ruffled itself at the top of my chest before I pulled it down to meet my waistline. Negan has a run planned today, I'm not sure where yet, but we're leaving after breakfast. I walked out of the bathroom and picked my boots up off the ground before turning to sit on my bed.

Once I finished lacing both boots, a loud knock came from my door. I furrowed my brows as I pushed myself off of my mattress and made my way to the door. I gripped the knob, the cold metal instantly chilling my fingers. I swung the door open to reveal a cheerful Negan, holding a tray of food with Lucille propped over his shoulder. A smile made its way to his lips as he offered the breakfast my way.

"Well good mornin', birthday girl," he exclaimed. I took the tray of food from his hands. A full breakfast with scrambled eggs, two pieces of toast, four orange wedges and a pancake with a blueberry smiley face. I kept my head slightly down but lifted my gaze to meet Negan's. His smile never left his face.

"Did you make this for me?" I asked jokingly.

"Hell no," he answered, a chuckle evident in his voice. "Chef did, per my request, of course."

I stepped to the side and asked Negan if he wanted to come inside.

"Do you want to spend time with me on your birthday, darlin'?" He asked in a low voice as he leaned against the door frame. "While I am flattered," he put his free hand to his chest, "I have to get the Saviors ready for our run. You eat up, be down at the trucks in 20." He peeled his weight from the frame and began walking down the hall, back towards the stairwell.

"Thanks for breakfast," I called after him.

"Don't mention it, doll." He waved his hand back at me without looking. "If you're even a second late, I'm leavin' your ass!"

-

I took my tray and now empty plate to the kitchen as I made my way to the trucks. I pushed through the door with my shoulder and offered a smile in Harry's direction.

"Headed out?" He asked.

"Yeah," I responded. "Thanks for breakfast, by the way." I placed the dishes in the sink with dishes alike. "I've got to get going, I'll see you around."

"See you, Jade. Be careful out there," Harry waved to me before turning back to his lunch prep.

I made my way back out of the kitchen door and headed to the trucks at the gate. I stuck the palm of my hand in front of me and pushed open the double doors that led to the gate. The warm air wrapped itself around me, welcoming me outside. There was only one truck by the gate and no men in sight. My heart dropped, I was late. My pace quickened as I rushed to the lone truck. The driver-side door shut noisily and a black pair of boots came around the back.

"I was just about to come and find your pretty ass," Negan spoke, a swagger in his step.

I swung my arms from my side, shrugging nonchalantly. "Found me," I said.

"Get in," Negan pointed to the truck with his thumb, his hand still resting at his side. We both made our way into the truck cabin. I buckled up and moved Lucille as he started the truck.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"That," He looked at me as he buckled up, "is a surprise." The gate opened as we approached and Negan slipped us through before it closed behind us. I rolled my eyes and turned to face forward. We started our journey to the undisclosed location, the first few minutes remained quiet, aside from the gravel kicking out from under the tires.

"How was your breakfast?" He broke the silence.

"It was pretty damn good," I admit. "Been a while since I had so much fresh fruit." We had fruit in Alexandria, but it was almost always from a can.