Ch. 16 - First Dance

I stood in front of my bathroom mirror, running my eyes over my outfit one last time. I anxiously bit the inside of my cheek, hoping that Daryl was able to escape. The party started about an hour ago, Sherry volunteered us for the second bartending shift which started in five minutes.

"Bitch, you look fantastic," Sherry said as approached my bathroom door. I pulled the sleeves up my arms a touch higher before straightening out my dress. My blonde hair flowed naturally over my shoulders. Sherry loaned me an extra pair of red heels, luckily we were the same size. "We have to go," she sang as she tapped the toe of her heel on the floor.

"Okay, I'm done," I said as I turned to her. She clapped her hands together in excitement, she had gone on and on about how much the sanctuary needed this. I think she was just excited about the free drinks, and I must say, I was too. As I flicked the light switch off, she shuffled through my bedroom and to the door. I followed closely on her heels, turning the bedroom light off as well, and shutting the door behind me.

As we made our way through the dark corridors, I tried to picture the party in my mind. Since I had cut my finger, Negan didn't let me go on any runs this week, aside from our visit to Alexandria. I'm not fucking risking you getting hurt, was his response every time I asked. Instead, I gave him a list of supplies and told him if he came across them, to take whatever he could find. He reluctantly agreed.

Before I knew it, the sound of music began to grow louder as we approach the commissary room. Sherry turned back to look at me, a wide, toothy grin plastered across her features.

"I'm so pumped!" She screamed, increasing her speed significantly. I quickened my pace behind her, not wishing to walk in on my own. The music intensified as we approached the doors, the room was dark, but there were beams of light illuminating the party warmly. The surround-sound speaker set was placed at the back of the room, the bartop from the wives' quarters against the right wall, and tables with chairs spread out along the right wall. A dance floor lay between, as many citizens of The Sanctuary swayed to the music that rang through the room. My eyes scanned the crowd, looking for a familiar face. My spirit began to dim as I was unable to spot his stubbled face.

I should not feel this way, I tell myself as I become embarrassed. I followed Sherry to the bartop, where we dismissed Amber and Frankie.

"Celebratory shot?" Sherry called, already pouring two shots of vodka. I grinned from ear to ear, ready for the night to begin. I reached for the first shot she poured, thanking her as I held it in front of me. She took the second glass between her fingers, and held it in front of her, grinning back at me. "To a night of fun," she said.

"To a night of fun," I repeated as we clinked our shot glasses. I brought the cool glass to my lips, pouring the liquid into my mouth as I immediately swallowed it, my throat beginning to burn beautifully. I slammed my glass on the surface and scanned for a bottle of rum, I was more of a dark liquor girl. As my eyes landed on a beautiful bottle of Captain Morgan, I brought it to my glass and filled it once more. I slammed the drink back, swallowing it quickly, the liquid going down much smoother.

We served numerous drinks, mainly straight liquor. The night was going well and everybody was enjoying themselves. Negan and his men still hadn't shown up, which made me worry. I had taken shots periodically throughout the night, hoping it would drive the thought of Negan catching Daryl out of my mind. I felt a warm buzz in my chest and my eyelids were relaxed, strong confidence beginning to take over my body. Harry had approached the bartop, and he asked for a neat tequila. I pushed his drink across the glossed wood and he quickly took it between his fingertips, bringing it to his lips. Say You Love Me by Fleetwood Mac began to play over the speakers, a vibrant piano signaling a few joyful shouts. My eyes widened in surprise and my mouth dropped as my favorite song started. Harry raised his eyebrows in shock as well.