Ch. 21 - Bias

"What the hell was that?" I ask. "How did Sasha get here?"

Nothing.

"Hello?" I call out as Negan strides down the hall, whistling obnoxiously and swinging Lucille by his side while he continues to ignore me.

"Hey!" I shout.

His thunderous footsteps come to a halt once he stops in his tracks. I mirror him from behind and stand still in anticipation and annoyance. He stands there, with his back turned to me, for a few hushed beats. Then, he spins on his heel to face me and closes the gap between us. His eyes squint as he traces over my features, the tip of his tongue pokes out between the corner of his lips, and he tilts his head to the side. I hate that I can't read his expression, but I have a feeling he still isn't happy with me.

"Why didn't you stop by last night?"

Damn, I'm good.

"Don't change the subject," I huff. I shift my weight onto one leg and place a hand on my hip.

"Answer my question and I'll answer yours," he suggests as he looks me up and down.

"I was avoiding you."

"Well shit," he mumbles, dropping his head slightly. "That- that's honest."

I shrug my shoulders, honest is one thing I know I have to be when it comes to Negan. Honest and resilient. "Your turn," I say as I fold my arms across my chest. He sighs loudly.

"She broke in last night. Cut a hole in the fence and killed one of my men. Now, I have a hunch that she had a target in mind," he points to himself. "I've got to tell you, Jade, your friends are wearing my patience thin as shit. This was their last chance. Sasha's going to join us for a while and she'll go back to Alexandria when I say she can go back, got it?"

His words grew more severe as they continued to flow from his lips. The lips I can't keep from watching when he speaks. The lips I want to keep from watching when he speaks. The lips of the man I want so badly to change. The lips of the man who I'm afraid never will.

"What the hell's gotten into you, darlin'?" His voice softens. Damn those lips.

"Hm?" I hum.

"You've been avoiding me, I can barely get a word outta ya," he starts to close the gap even more. I step back. "What is it?"

I remain silent and shake my head, shoving my hands into the front pockets of my jeans.

"How 'bout I make you a nice meal tonight, hm? We can talk about whatever shit's pushin' you away," he offers.

This is good. I have time between now and tonight to gather my thoughts, which feel as if they're scattered far beyond my mind. Far beyond The Sanctuary. I need to find Sherry, she can help me.

"No spaghetti," I mutter, looking up to see a small smile tug at Negan's lips.

"No spaghetti," he repeats. "I've got a few tricks up my goddamn sleeve, sweetheart. How's seven sound?"

I nod. Seven sounds better than right now.

-

Negan swings the kitchen door open, startling Harry, who is prepping for lunch by himself.

'Prince Charming,' Negan greets the Englishmen.

'Sir,' Harry greets him back. 'Jade isn't here,' he continues.

Negan strides further into the kitchen, laying Lucille atop the clean counter closest to the door. He knows Jade isn't in the kitchen, he walked Jade to her room. Even when she's avoiding him, Negan knows where Jade is, because Negan is everywhere.