Chapter 1

It started on a sunny day in May. The heat was bearable and mid-afternoon seemed to be the perfect time to take a stroll in the eastern town. Yash had very little say on this, so he obediently followed his senior.

Summer was about to end and Rupali wanted to have mangoes one last time. Not from the fruit basket but from trees, that too stolen.

And there my pal it all started. In the Swan garden of Finance Minister Pavaan Mori. Under a beautiful mango tree, my favourite love story bloomed.

"What are they doing?" Aadarsh whispered.

"This isn't ripe enough?" Kalpana complained and stood up on her toes to reach out for the mango which was right in front of her but at a high. Ripe or not it was close enough to try to catch in by hand.

Rupali couldn't stop laughing "Oh my god! My hits are so bad."

"Indeed they are." Aadarsh, who was standing behind them, muttered. He crossed his arms and groaned in frustration.

Rupali looked at Kalpana. "It could be better if you did yoga. You are short."

"This is a waste of time," Kalpana said and raised her arm more and tripped but didn't fall.

Rupali got the stone in her hand and hit it one more time but it failed.

"Seriously..." Yash said and looked at Aadarsh with a questioning face. They were waiting for them to get one mango to catch both peasant girls red-handed.

Aadarsh raised his brows and smiled. "How could-"

"You have been standing here for quite a long time now."

Yash quickly turned and saw one in a brown suit staring at him. Her arched eyebrows looked down on sweeping eyelashes. Dark brown eyes gazed at him.

Kalpana turned to look at them. Both the men were dressed in merchant clothing. One wore a Cream kurta and another red which had embroidered borders. They wore red turbans and silver bracelets on both hands.

"You too want mangoes?" Kalpana asked. Her face grew red with humiliation.

"We would love to have some. But after you, two get yours of course." Aadarsh crossed his arms and smirked. He stood at ease as if he was comfortable standing there for a few more hours.

Rupali sensed the joke. Her cheeks grew red in rage. "You too seem to be better at this than us."

She eyed both of the young merchants and quickly noticed that one of them wore military shoes. She quickly looked up at their faces when she caught Yash watching her.

"You will be surprised by our skills." Aadarsh smiled and looked at Yash, who was by now fed up with the game.

Rupali noticed Aadarsh's laugh and her face grew red. She gave a tug to her braid and took a step forward.

"Reporting two girls could do no good. You both are soldiers. You couldn't get us, Sopara, at least you can get two mangoes to hungry girls." She said in one breath and for sure she didn't think once before saying it.

.

.

.

If you were in the 15th century what would you want to be? A royal or a simple life?

I would prefer a simple life.

vote.comment.share.