Chapter 10

Aastha gathered a smile and said "Queen meant it in a positive way of course. Rupali is in many ways like her grandmother. Rebel but good and dutiful."

"Of course" Queen laughed and it felt odd. She behaved like a psychopath. Rupali had no doubt Queen had too much alcohol in the afternoon.

"Rupali no one told me why you rejected Prince of Sanchi. I could have asked you directly but your father said it was his decision. Don't you think he is a nice man to marry? Did your father ever tell you about the proposal?"

"He did Queen. Father told me he is honoured but he had his reasons to say no. I don't have anything more to say." she looked at her mother who nodded slowly. Signalling to stop speaking but Rupali knew she had to add one last sentence or else she would target her father "Actually grandmother had a talk with father about this." She smiled innocently, a perfect smile that her mother taught her.

"Of Course, grandmother will have a say in this." She signed and lay flat on the mattress. A servant arranged the cushions under her head and hands.

"Anyways" Parmila smiled "What are your thoughts on my brother?"

Was Rupali supposed to say she was good and that will count as an invention for the queen to keep forward a marriage proposal? She looked at her mother who looked at her, face red in anger.

"He is a brave man. Man of his word and talented."

"C'mon. It's just us here. Tell me. What do you think of him? I am your Aunt, after all, you can tell me."

"I haven't got a chance to interact with him much. All I know about him is from the stories of his bravery which I heard from Mann's Uncle and father. What should I say further?" She looked away.

"My mother showed interest in you. I thought I should tell you that" Queen looked at Aastha and smiled "Tell me if you think this is good for you I will talk to my brother. He couldn't refuse me."

"That's a good idea. But you know Queen, we have to talk about this with Rupali's father first." Aastha said as she offered the pan to the Queen.

Rupali leaned back on the soft cushions, trying to disappear from the room. All the Mithai were giving her a stomach ache.

"I know. I will talk with my mother-in-law first."

Rupali looked at Laxmi; she was her saviour. Why couldn't she talk now? Rupali looked at her and Laxmi simply looked away.

"Rupali," the Queen said and gave forward the fruit dish. "Eat some."

"I had enough today."

"You want to rest."

"Yes, please."

"You can go. And so can you Aastha. Laxmi."

.

.

.

.

vote.comment.share.