Chapter 5

Laxmi was in her orange sari dressed as a lady of the fine house; she wore minimal jewellery to attract less attention. Yash was wearing a simple printed kurta of fine design and a turban on his head.

It had become a routine to visit the Shiv temple near the lake twice a week with Aunt. It left like coming to Ma temple every day which was right near his home in Kalpi, when he was a kid.

After doing prayer Laxmi and Yash sat down on the bench beside the temple. Many devotees were coming in and out. Singers and musicians were playing hymns. They both sat down to enjoy the music.

"Did you look at the proposal that your mother send?"

"Every one of them."

"Hmmm... And none was good" She gave the basket she was holding in her hands to the servant standing beside the bench.

"One that I sent was a princess."

"I don't desire to have one. I can't handle their tantrums."

"Do you mean to say that I throw tantrums?"

Yash laughed and moved his head in 'no'. She too burst out laughing and patted his head.

"Your mother has requested me to get you married to a princess. And hopefully, your Father-in-law will give you a good spot in the army. The one that you deserve"

"I don't need a father-in-law for that. I have a princess beside me for that."

"Of course why not? I have no other things to do. But favour you all day."

"Yes"

"Acting smart, in front of me." She picked his ears.

"Let it go, it hurts." Laxmi let go of his ears and gave a warning look.

"Then what do you desire in a girl."

"I don't know. I want someone to be happy and content with."

"You are happy and content with your life."

"No need for a wife then."

"Don't you feel alone? I use to feel even jealous of my friends who got married before me because they got all pleasure of married life-"

"Aunty!" Yash cut her off.

"C'mon, Yash." Laxmi gave him a long look. After a moment she said "Count me as your wise old friend. You are a nice man and I want a good, sensible girl for you rather than a princess. What's the point of marrying one if you don't inherit a throne? You have a good status. Your grandfather is the minister of weaponry. You don't need a Princess for status. Father-in-law's name is enough to get you in a good position."

"He couldn't let us use his name, is a different thing."

"That's true." Laxmi laughed.

"Father-in-law is grumpy but wise. Even he could say that other than being called son-in-law of king or brother-in-law of the king. Marrying a princess doesn't bring anything more. If not princess then who?" She arched her eyebrows. "A good, sensible girl. Maybe a good sensible only child." She winked.

"I don't understand you sometimes." Yash couldn't stop laughing.

"It's not hard. I am good but I also give preference to my benefits."

"Benefit is a harsh word."

"Then what will you use?"

"Smart." Yash saw her Aunt's eyebrows raised in amusement.

"You know how to compliment a woman."

"Credit goes to you for that."

"I will take all of it."

Laxmi looked at the sky. "We should leave." She said.

"Yes." Yash stood up and so did Laxmi.

Right when they both came out of the temple gate, Rupali who was sitting outside the temple on a bench placed against the wall saw Yash. It felt like God listened to her and gave her one more chance to explain herself. 

.

.

.

.

vote.comment.share