8

They were approached by Kai and Jennie's father after the third dance.

"May I cut in?" Kai smirked, knowing Jennie couldn't say no because of all the gathering stares. Jennie's father reached out to Lisa.

Jennie had no choice but to reluctantly be peeled away and follow Kai as Lisa let herself be led by Jennie's father.

"Why do you keep doing this Jongin. You don't even like me." Jennie accused.

"I have to."

"Why!"

"I just do!" Kai snapped.

Jennie, for the first time since they were young and in high school actually observed him. Trying to read him. She'd never really paid much attention to him since then, not bothering to get to know the man she really wanted out of her life asap. She watched as Kai's mouth twitched, frowning.

Jennie almost shoved him away, but people were watching, so she opted for the next best thing.

"You're pathetic."

Kai almost agreed. His pride wouldn't let him though. He objected, like he usually did.

"I'm your only hope. Hold on to me before you fall from grace Jennie."

"I'm starting to think its the other way around, Kai." Jennie answered in a clipped tone.

Kai avoided her eyes after that because Jennie might have been a little too close to the truth.

_____

"I should have known you'd be a good dancer." Jennie's father complimented Lisa.

Lisa didn't answer, she still wasn't over the way he had grabbed Jennie earlier.

"Being a dance major after all." He continued.

"I should hope so." Lisa finally deigned to reply.

Jennie's father slowed them down. "Dancing isn't your only dream though is it. I heard from your professors you applied for a fellowship and a grant."

Lisa swallowed hard. She hadn't even told Rosie about that. No one except the application committee and her photography professors knew.

"You'll probably get the fellowship. I have to admit, your work is good. But you'll need a sponsor if you want to travel the world and actually make it work. You can't get a photo book together from just Seoul can you? People without connections don't just get grants, even people as talented as you."

Jennie's father stopped them from dancing then. He pulled out a paper from the inside of his coat pocket, handing it to Lisa discreetly. Crushing it in between their hands.

"I'll be a dedicated sponsor Lisa, this is just the beginning. Go and travel the world with my money and take your pictures. You won't even have to graduate to gain acclaim. I have faith you'll find your perfect shot and win your IPA. Go and never come back like you've always dreamed."

He dropped Lisa's hands then. Lisa hadn't realized the music had stopped.

Jennie let go of Kai as soon as the song was over and frantically searched for Lisa. She watched as her father smirked and bowed to her before walking away. Jennie rushed over to where Lisa was standing.

"Are you okay! What did he say?" Jennie splurted out.

Lisa hadn't expected Jennie to be next to her so quick, she shoved the check into her own pocket. The crumpled check that she had noticed seconds into Mr. Kim leaving had a ridiculous amount of zeroes attached to it. More zeros than someone should earn in a lifetime let alone at a one year fellowship.