CHAPTER EIGHT

—— NUMB TO THE FEELING
chapter eight: you're safe with me

     IT WAS ABOUT TEN O'CLOCK at night when Kate Wallace returned to Reefer Rick's house

IT WAS ABOUT TEN O'CLOCK at night when Kate Wallace returned to Reefer Rick's house. After a long, chaotic day, the only person she wanted to be with was Eddie Munson. Although they weren't close, the boy would be able to comfort her in ways nobody else could. His presence was all she could think about as she turned off the car engine and stepped out of the vehicle.

To her dismay, when she scoped her eyes over the dimly lit area, there seemed to be no sign of movement. No lights, no sounds, no moved items, and absolutely no sign of any life form.

As her mind whirred in thought, Kate Wallace thought of two different explanations. One, Eddie Munson was hiding, which would be a smart thing to do considering that the cops could still be looking for him. Or two, he left Reefer Rick's house, without informing anyone, and moved to a more remote location.

For Kate Wallace's sake, she was really hoping that it was the first one.

"Eddie?" Kate called, making sure her voice was loud enough for him to hear, but quiet enough that it wouldn't alert anyone nearby. "Eddie, are you still here?"

"Kate," Eddie Munson gasped, clutching his chest in sudden shock as he moved out from the bushes.

It had been a full day since Eddie Munson last contacted anyone, and since he was completely alone, he was growing extremely paranoid. For this reason, when he heard a mysterious car pull up randomly at 10:00 PM, it scared the absolute shit out of him. That was, until he heard Kate Wallace's voice call out his name.

Staring at the girl in disbelief, Eddie Munson had to blink a few times in order to fully grasp onto the sight of her. The truth was, the boy didn't actually think that Kate Wallace would come back to him after returning to town. Since the girl lived quite comfortably in a large house with a wealthy family, Eddie assumed that she would return home and never speak to him again.

But, there she was, standing a short distance away, looking directly at him.

Scanning her appearance, Eddie let his eyes trail down the girl's body, noticing that she had cleaned up since the last time he saw her. She was dressed in her usual preppy attire, with a lace skirt, a knitted sweater, and thin black tights, which Eddie Munson found to be insanely attractive. 

"You came back," the boy breathed.

Instead of greeting him normally, Kate Wallace felt an enormous rush of adrenaline kick in as she quickly made her way towards the boy, not wasting a single moment before jumping into his arms. The girl couldn't remember the last time she had felt safe in someone's embrace. It wasn't until she felt the strong grip of Eddie Munson's hands pull her closer by the waist that she truly experienced the feeling.