CHAPTER FOURTEEN

—— NUMB TO THE FEELING
chapter fourteen: i don't feel so good

     LOOKING DOWN AT THE GRUESOME SCENE BEFORE HER, Kate Wallace was stunned beyond belief

     LOOKING DOWN AT THE GRUESOME SCENE BEFORE HER, Kate Wallace was stunned beyond belief. The girl knew that the Upside Down would be dangerous, but she didn't fully comprehend that fact until she was watching Steve Harrington being eaten alive right in front of her by horrifying-bat-looking-creatures. The sight alone was utterly terrifying, but the group knew they would need to fight for him to survive.

Out of the entire group, Nancy Wheeler was the first to react, taking one of the boating oars in her grasp as she began to forcefully beat down the creatures that were hurting Steve. Moving alongside her, Robin Buckley began to pin them down with her shoe and hit them with her flashlight.

Standing a few feet away, Eddie Munson and Kate Wallace had their own creatures to deal with, watching from above as they swarmed down to attack. Bringing the oar to his knee, Eddie split the wooden oar in half, giving one of the pieces to Kate for protection.

"Shit!" Eddie yelled, watching as one swooped down before him. Taking the wood firmly in his grasp, the boy began to swing at the bat, hitting it multiple times. "Yeah! Come on!"

From a few feet away, Robin called to the blonde, "Kate, behind you, watch out!"

Just before the girl was able to react, a set of claws gripped onto her back and pulled her backwards. Forcefully falling onto the ground, Kate Wallace was pinned down by one of the gruesome creatures. In one quick motion, the bat sunk its teeth into her upper arm, ripping away at her flesh. Letting out a cry in pain, Kate desperately reached out beside her for the piece of broken wood.

Several moments passed, but the girl simply couldn't reach the weapon. As the bat continued to feed on her arm, the girl let out one final cry, stretching out and grabbing the sharp piece of wood off the ground. Once she held it firmly in her grasp, the girl didn't hesitate to plunge it straight into the bats head. As the black blood splurged from its insides, Kate threw the bat off of her and let out a groan.

"Kate!" Eddie shouted, looking back at the girl as she laid in pain. Racing over to her, the boy knelt down beside her and placed his arms underneath her, helping her sit up. "Oh my god, you're hurt!"

"I'm fine!" Kate shouted, clutching her wounded arm. "I'm fine, I'm fine! Go, theres still more!"

As Eddie Munson continued to fight, Kate Wallace began to move her legs under her. Struggling to her feet, Kate pushed herself off the ground and returned to a standing position. As soon as she pulled her hand away from her arm, Kate noticed her fingers completely covered in slick red blood.

Clenching her jaw, Kate reached down and grabbed the sharp piece of wood, ignoring her injury and preparing herself to help the others. With only two bats left, Steve Harrington took one of them, while Eddie Munson took the other. While Steve was swinging his bat on the ground, Eddie took the piece of wood and stabbed the other one through its heart. Soon enough, both bats lay dead on the ground, leaving the group completely out of breath.