CHAPTER NINE

—— NUMB TO THE FEELING
chapter nine: wanna go for a swim?

     WHEN EDDIE MUNSON woke up that next morning, he wasn't expecting to find an empty space next to him in his bed

WHEN EDDIE MUNSON woke up that next morning, he wasn't expecting to find an empty space next to him in his bed. Last he remembered, Kate Wallace had slept beside him the entire night. Did she leave without telling him? Did something bad happen to her? Did she get taken? A series of terrifying thoughts flashed through Eddie's mind as he frantically searched around the room for the girl. After what felt like an eternity of searching, the boy came to the conclusion that Kate Wallace was nowhere to be found.

Exiting out of the bedroom, Eddie Munson cautiously walked through the living room and towards the patio doors, eyeing outside to see if she was anywhere nearby. Luckily, the boy was easily able to spot Kate, who was peacefully sitting on the dock leading out to Lovers Lake. At the sight, the boy immediately felt a huge wave of relief wash over him. She was safe.

It was in that moment Eddie Munson had a marvelous idea. Moving quietly, the boy hastily opened the patio door and made his way over to the girl, doing his best not to catch her attention. Then, in one sudden movement, Eddie reached forward and grabbed her by the waist, calling out the words, "Morning, Kate."

"Jesus, Eddie," Kate shrieked, startled by the sudden attack. "You scared me."

"I could say the same to you," Eddie replied, tilting his head as he studied her appearance. "What are you doing out here, anyway?"

"Just getting some air," Kate replied, her eyes fixating on the vast bed of water before her. "I can see why Rick chose to live here. It's actually a really great place to be alone with your thoughts."

"Mind if I join you?"

"Not at all, please do."

Taking a seat on the ground next to the girl, Eddie Munson gazed out at the water before him. For a couple of minutes, the two sat in silence, enjoying the peaceful morning breeze followed by the scent of fresh water from the lake. Since it was nearing late March, the weather was still fairly cold in Hawkins, Indiana. For this reason, it was highly unlikely to be caught at Lovers Lake during this time of year. Coincidentally, that's what made Kate and Eddie's timing so perfect. Nobody would be able to find them.

After a long moment of silence, Kate Wallace then turned to the boy and studied him. Reaching over to the boy's jacket, she then began to trace her fingers over Eddie Munson's denim vest.

"What are all these?" Kate asked, examining the set of patches and pins.

"Just the greatest bands of all time," Eddie gushed, smiling as he took the vest off and held it in his palms. "Check 'em out, right here we got Megadeth, Motörhead, and Iron Maiden, then over here there's W.A.S.P, Accept, Mercyful Fate, Judas Priest, and on the back, Dio."