CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

—— NUMB TO THE FEELING
chapter twenty-one: the sacrifice

——☆ NUMB TO THE FEELINGchapter twenty-one: the sacrifice

KATE WALLACE COULDN'T MOVE. She couldn't breathe. She couldn't think. Everything had happened so fast. Watching the boy she loved most run into the darkness to distract the bats made the girl fall into a tremendous state of panic. She couldn't stay in that trailer while Eddie Munson was on the verge of death. She needed to help him.

"Okay, think," Kate spoke to herself, searching around the room. "Think, think, think, think."

As her heart pumped violently in her chest, the girl desperately scanned her eyes over the small room around her, searching for a tool that would allow her to break through the door. A knife wouldn't be able to cut through the barricade, nor would a spear.

She needed something stronger.

It was then her eyes fell down to her harness, wrapped tightly around her torso. Tucked inside the various pockets remained two explosive devices. Thank god she had asked Steve Harrington to grab those grenades.

Taking one of the explosives out of her harness, Kate assured herself, "Okay, okay. You can do this."

Making her way back over to the living room, Kate Wallace looked up at the ceiling where Dustin Henderson stood. From there, the girl was able to see how worried and confused the boy was; for he had absolutely no idea what was going on.

"Dustin!" Kate yelled up to the boy, waving to get his attention. "You're going to want to take a few steps back!"

Shaking his head, Dustin Henderson looked down at her in protest, "Kate, I swear to god! Whatever you're about to do, don't do it!"

At the sound of his breaking voice, Kate could tell how utterly terrified the boy was. The last thing she wanted to do was leave him. But, she had no choice.

"I'm sorry, Dustin," Kate apologized, keeping her grip firm on the explosive. "I have to save Eddie. He's all I have."

"Fine!" Dustin called, gripping back onto the rope. "Then I'm coming with you!"

Shaking her head, Kate Wallace protested, "No, you're safe up there. The difference in the gravitational pull will protect you from the impact of the explosion. But, it will not stop the debris from falling through, so make sure you move out of the way."

"What about you?!" Dustin shouted, letting go of the rope. "That explosion will kill you in a heartbeat!"

"Maybe it will," Kate began, gulping nervously. "But it's our best hope of saving Eddie."

From the other side of the gate, the young boy watched as Kate Wallace disappeared from his view, moving into the other room. Stressfully running his hands through his curled hair, Dustin called once more, "This is a really dumb idea, Kate! I'm serious! Don't do it!"