CHAPTER NINETEEN

—— NUMB TO THE FEELING
chapter nineteen: bombs away!

     AFTER DROPPING LUCAS, MAX, AND ERICA off at the Creel house, the rest of the group headed back to Eddie Munson's trailer, where they would begin their mission to kill Vecna

AFTER DROPPING LUCAS, MAX, AND ERICA off at the Creel house, the rest of the group headed back to Eddie Munson's trailer, where they would begin their mission to kill Vecna. After getting their weapons from the army surplus, the group had split their plan into four phases — each phase leading them closer to their desired outcome. Of course, it would be dangerous. Deadly, even.

But they had no choice.

Throwing on a thick army jacket and a grenade-filled holster, Kate Wallace couldn't help but feel like a complete maniac. Just two weeks ago, she had received an acceptance letter into Yale. Now, she was preparing herself for an inter-dimensional battle where she would have to fight several deadly monsters.

"This is insane," Kate spoke to herself as she zipped the jacket over her Iron Maiden band tee.

"Kate, do you think your mom will still be at the trailer park?" Nancy Wheeler asked, turning to face her from the front seat.

"I don't know," Kate Wallace replied, shrugging her shoulders. "It's a possibility."

"It's been eight hours," Steve Harrington cut in, shaking his head. "The cops probably brought Kate's mom back down to the station."

"Let's hope."

After a few more minutes of driving, the road split into two. To their dismay, the road they were supposed to take was blocked off by police tape.

"Uh oh..." Steve Harrington trailed off. "What's this?"

Moving over to the window, Kate Wallace stared out of the van and looked at what was blocking the road.

"Oh no," the girl breathed.

Turning to face the girl, Nancy Wheeler asked, "What do you see?"

Fixating her gaze on the sight before her, Kate Wallace spotted her mother, her father, the police, and a few local news vans. Looking closer at the scene, she noticed that the reporters were talking to the couple they had stolen the camping van from.

"Kate?" Nancy asked once more, lifting her eyebrow. "What's going on?"

"They're still here," answered Kate, her voice shaking as she looked over at the scene. "My mom, the cops, and a couple news reporters. My dad is here now, too."

"Shit," Eddie Munson cursed, chewing his bottom lip in thought. "What do we do?"

Pulling her gaze away from the window, Kate Wallace turned to the group and spoke, "They can't see us right now, but they will if we move any closer. We need to park somewhere they won't be able to see us."