CHAPTER THIRTEEN

—— NUMB TO THE FEELING
chapter thirteen: the dive

     THE SOUND OF CRUNCHING LEAVES AND SNAPPING tree branches rang through Kate Wallace's ears as she quickly moved through the forest alongside the others

THE SOUND OF CRUNCHING LEAVES AND SNAPPING tree branches rang through Kate Wallace's ears as she quickly moved through the forest alongside the others. It was now dark outside, leaving only the moon to illuminate their complex path. Leading the group, Dustin Henderson kept his eyes fixated on his compass, allowing it to decide his every move. The boy was moving quite fast, which made it extremely difficult for the others to follow him.

"Dustin, will you slow down?" Eddie Munson asked the boy, trailing a few feet behind him. "Dustin?"

"Eddie, doesn't this path look familiar to you?" Kate Wallace spoke to the boy as she studied the atmosphere. "I swear we've been here before."

"Wait a minute..." Eddie trailed off, studying the path ahead of him. It took a few moments, but soon, the boy realized where they were. As if on que, Eddie Munson quickly reached out and grabbed Dustin's backpack, just before he fell into the water. "Careful there, Henderson."

"Oh man," Steve Harrington groaned, stepping out from behind the group as he pointed his flashlight at the sight. "You've gotta be shitting me."

"I knew this path looked familiar," Kate Wallace spoke to the group, fixating her gaze on the vast body of water before them. "The electromagnetic pull must be coming from somewhere in Lover's Lake."

"Theres a gate in Lover's Lake?" Max Mayfield questioned, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Whenever the Demogorgan attacked, it always left an opening..." Nancy Wheeler trailed off, shrugging her shoulders. "Maybe Vecna's the same way."

"Yeah, only one way to find out," Steve called, turning to both Kate and Eddie. "Any chance you guys still have that boat?"

Luckily, they did. Moving down the shore, Eddie Munson and Kate Wallace lead the others a short distance away to the boat they had discarded the previous night. Once they arrived, Eddie then pulled off the large tarp and unveiled the medium sized vessel. One by one, Eddie, Nancy, and Robin advanced onto the boat. When it was Kate's turn, Eddie instinctively rushed over to help her.

"Watch your step," Eddie called, reached out to catch her as she stumbled onto the boat.

"I got it," Kate assured, stabilizing her movement as she carefully stepped onto the boat. Once she safely made it on, the girl sighed and took a seat across from Robin.

Saluting the group goodbye, Dustin Henderson smiled in excitement as he attempted to follow behind Kate Wallace onto the boat. But, before he could, Eddie Munson stopped him in his place.