24

Communication

"Alec," Jane's tone was a warning and the bystanding guards braced themselves.

"No," Alec stood firm, crossing his arms. "I'm not going to willingly talk to Caius. That's a death wish. One slip up and I'm fucking dead. I'm not down for that."

"What, so you're just okay with a heinous amount of animosity until both of you die?" She crossed her arms to mirror her twin. The room was tense as Alec stared down his sister. "What was it that you said about last night with Hero? That you wanted to knock some sense into Caius?"

"I'm not doing it."

-

"She should be in her room," Jane said as they hurried down the corridor. "So Caius is probably in his personal study."

"No one is allowed in there," Alec cried as Felix and Demetri made sure that he kept moving forwards.

"We're getting desperate," Demetri snarked.

"We're already desperate, Dem." Jane was quick on her feet. "We wouldn't be if Alec would have just explained to Caius what happened in the first place, but now it's worse than that."

"Excuse me if I'm on mom's side instead of dad's." Alec rolled his eyes. Felix shoved his shoulder.

"Mom?" Jane turned around with a smirk. Alec spluttered and Felix shook his head, looking anywhere but at Jane. "What in the hell did I miss?"

"Way to go, genius. Now she's gonna blab to Hero," Demetri grouched.

"It's just a uh-" Alec grimaced at himself and ran a hand down his face. Jane snorted before continuing on her way.

"It's supposed to be an inside joke." Demetri tried to cover and Jane laughed from up ahead of them.

"Sure it is." She stopped outside of a double doorway. Alec hesitated. "Go on. Talk to dad. I won't tell mom."

Alec hesitated.

"I'm escorting Hero to the airport in two hours. You better get in there soon." With that Jane left the three of them outside of Caius' study. Hoping that Alec would just grow some balls already. That Caius would see reason. That he'd look past the angry jealousy.

If not, they'd lose Hero forever.

They might be able to put Alec back together....

•|•|•

I chucked my moccasins by the door and stuffed my flip flops into the side pocket on my backpack.

"Got everything?" Jane held her hands behind her back, a tight lipped smile on her face. If I didn't know any better, I'd say she was a little bit on edge. Maybe she was. Not happy that I was leaving, obviously.

"I'm pretty sure." I cleared my throat. "If I forget, it's not like I can come get it."

"I'd make the trip out to see you somehow," Jane said softly.

"That's very sweet. I would like to see you again. I don't know if the kings would let you make a social call..."

"Probably not," Jane said. "I'd do it anyway."

"That's sweet." I smiled warmly at her and picked up a small stack of envelopes on the vanity table. "Let's go to the library, there's something that I've gotta do."

We got to the library and I set the envelopes on the piano. I immediately went about gathering the books that I needed and started setting them up with the corresponding envelopes.