5

Feeling nothing

The many days past that were dull. I didn't see Caius at all, thankfully, or Jane, sadly. I was stuck with Demetri or Felix for the majority of the few more recent days and I had met a woman named Corin. It was a scheduled meeting by Aro. I didn't know why, but everything about her seemed like a fairytale. Her beautiful blonde hair, her overly nice way of talking. She had a way of touching my shoulder and my hands when she talked. Subtly placing her hand on my arm in midst of a laugh. It almost seemed like she was trying to seduce me. Not that I didn't enjoy her company, she just seemed too good to be true. It was entirely unsettling.

Demetri and I now walked down a corridor in the castle. I studied the paintings that were hung up on the walls. I commented on them every once in a while, making them say ridiculous sounding things.

"What about this one?" I mumbled. The picture was of a Victorian ball. Masks and long dresses. A few men in frilly suits. "What do you think they're saying?" Demetri shrugged and I scoffed. "You're boring." I grumbled. There was a few seconds silence.

"Hello, Sir." I turned to glance at Demetri and then back at the painting with a smile. "I do believe you have a mask. I have one, too. They are very frilly, like our suits." I felt my shoulders shake with laughter and heard Demetri laugh as well.

"Not bad, but what about the women?" I asked. He shrugged.

"They should be seen and not heard." He said and I looked at him appalled.

"That saying is for children, Demi." I said nudging his shoulder with emphasis on the name.

"It's Demetri." He said and I pretended not to hear him.

"So, Demi," I heard him sigh and fought the impending giggle. "What does your day normally consist of?" I asked as I turned to look at the next painting.

"Not guarding you, usually." He said and I huffed.

"About that. What do I need guarding from?" I asked.

"It's more like keeping you from getting into things you shouldn't." He shrugged.

"You shrug a lot." I said and studied the next painting.

"Demetri, you've been called to the throne room." Jane's voice came from down the hall. "New trial." Then she was next to me. "Hello." She said and her smile was shallow. I assumed because Demetri had yet to leave. She looked at him pointedly. "Now." Then he was gone and Jane turned to me with a wider smile. "Pinky swear secret." She said and held up her hand. I linked our pinkies and she leaned in close. "Over half of the people that come in for trials are extremely attractive." She said and I laughed slightly.

"Am I allowed to see?" I asked and she immediately shook her head.

"Not my jurisdiction to say." She said. "But perhaps if you told Aro, he'd let you sit in one. He says you're staying indefinitely, too. So we'll have more time together." I smiled more for her benefit, but it seemed that I couldn't hide anything because she saw right through it. "I mean I'm sure you can leave soon... I just meant-"

"I enjoy your company as well, Jane." I said smiling. "It's just that leaving is a sore subject." I said and we linked arms as we walked down the hall the way she had come. "I want to go home, but at the same time, there's nothing there that I want back. You saw the text messages. You're closer than anyone at home would be... Except for maybe one of the Cullens..." I said and then shook my head. "Everything would be different when I got back. I left so suddenly.. I have a hard time believing that they'd want me back. I'm comfortable here I guess. Middle of the school year. Yet I haven't done any homework. Senior year and if I went back, I'd have no college to go to. My scholarship was removed."