7

Frantic Disappearance

Caius Volturi was enigmatic. Mysterious and confusing. I had no idea what went on in his head, but I wanted to. I knew what was going on in mine. I felt something for him. Something. I couldn't tell what, but that something rolled around in my chest when he held my hands. I felt like I couldn't breathe. The same feeling that I got in Forks.

I walked back to my room in a daze. Or as everyone else seemed to call them, my "chambers". I would start talking like them soon. I could feel it. The slow assimilation. Soon no one would know the difference. Geez, I was dramatic.

"Hero!" I turned just before walking in to find Jane down the hall, and suddenly she was in front of me. My hair blew backwards and I closed my eyes, blinking moisture back into them. "Demetri says that we can use the projector in the lounge to watch the movies instead of the laptop. I mean we do still have to plug in the laptop, but- Oh! And we had someone go grocery shopping. I didn't know exactly what you liked so I had him buy almost everything." She grabbed my hand and we began to walk down to the kitchen.

"What do you think of dyeing my hair?" I asked her as we linked arms and moved our legs in front of each other's.

"Hmm, what color?" Jane asked as we kept going.

"I have ginger hair, so I was thinking just red? It'd be easiest." I shrugged.

"Red would look really good." Jane said. "You better do it now though." She said.

"Why?"

"Because vampires can't do shit." She said and we both laughed.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean we can't cut our hair, or dye it, or get tattoos because the needles would break on our skin. We don't even have body odor. Showering is more for pleasure than necessity." She listed off. "And when you're one of us, you'll be stuck with whatever state you're in. Oh, shower and shave beforehand."

"Before what...oh." She was talking about when I'm changed. If I'm changed. "If I'm even staying. I'm sure they'll send me back when international travel opens again." I said and Jane stopped walking. I turned to her and she looked at me with a frown.

"I think we should do it tonight." She said and my eyebrows shot up.

"Do w-"

"Your hair." She said with a smile and I grabbed a bit of it, putting it on my upper lip.

"What do you think, would I make a sexy old man?" I asked with a silly low voice. I saw her eyes widen as she looked past me and then straightened, hands clasped in front of her. I turned confused and, like an idiot, I held the hair on my upper lip.

Caius stood with Marcus and Aro. Aro looked entirely amused, Marcus looked dead as was per usual, and Caius, well, he looked confused. I cleared my throat and dropped the hair, smoothing it down and the clasped my hands in front of me.

"I think it would look beautiful," Aro said and my eyes widened.

"I'm sorry... what?" I asked and Jane nudged me.

"He's talking about your hair." She said. Aro nodded.

"Red hair would look nice," Aro said walking over. "I do believe it would suit you quite well." He ran a hand through the very tips of my hair and I tried not to shiver. He still scared the heebeejeebees out of me. It was that creepy smile of his.

"Agreed," Caius said and then began to walk past. I wasn't expecting any gesture from him after he left so suddenly not a half an hour ago. But his finger trailed from my cheekbone down to my chin and his thumb stroked over it before his touch left completely. With that he continued to walk down the corridor, I assume, to his chambers.