18

IDK
(I'm kind of shook rn. This story is ranked and has 1.08k reads. 50 votes and idek how many comments oof I'm so hype. I'm riding a wave. Have an extra chapter this week. (I'm also going to try to keep on an upload schedule. So expect a new chapter at the very least every week.) Anyways enjoy!)

I had seen Caius since that day, but we hadn't been alone since then. About a month. We were always in the throne room or doing trials, the more than occasional execution, or I was just not around him for more than five minutes at a time. I was still in the process of figuring out exactly how I felt towards Caius, but small secret moments where he'd smile at me, or kiss my hand, or simply hold it, was slowly giving me exactly the answer I wanted.

Jane and I were still well into annoying the new secretary and believe it or not, the more we dealt with her, the more I got used to her. She was still a bitch, that much was for sure, but something about pissing her off endeared her to me. Nothing too bad had happened since I broke her nose, but then again it had only been a month, she must have dialed it back out of fear. Which was exactly the point I wanted to make. I was totally not just attacking her out of anger. It was totally calculated... Aheh.

In any case, Jane and I had yet to stop in our taunting, still it was light and almost half-hearted, and that brought us to one day when things took a bit of a turn for the worse.

"Jane, is Corin in the guards quarters?" Lucinda had asked as Jane and I passed. Jane nodded once and we continued on. "I'm not finished with you yet." She said harshly and her heels clicked as she came up quickly behind us. "I was talking to you. You may be one of them, but you're still a low guard and I can no doubt talk to the king's about your behavior. No doubt you could still be disciplined." Out of the corner of my eye I could have sworn I saw more guards uniforms, but I barely paid mind when I heard the word 'discipline.' I scoffed.

"What could you do?" I asked accusingly. "A human secretary that shows too much skin to be taken seriously by anyone against a badass Volturi guard? Step down, Lucy. You're a bit in over your head." I was angry and no doubt I had just made her a bit more. Her lips pursed.

"And who are you to be defending her? You're worse than she is. The gall of children these days." She huffed. "You should learn to respect your elders, una bambina." She said. I had been teaching myself Italian for a while and knew enough to figure out that she'd called me a child.

"How many times do I have to fucking tell you to step off!" I cried. "You treat us both like shit! Why?! Is it because we're usually alone? No one else around? Because I know for a fact that none of the guys would take this shit from a stupid human whore like you."

"Hah. Funny you'd call me the whore. You're probably-"

"Lemme stop you right there, bitch." I put my hand up stepping a bit closer and knocking whatever papers she had in her hands to the tile in between us. "You hate me, obviously, though I can't, for the life of me, figure out why and it started as soon as you got here. I don't know what your issue is, but you can fuck right off. I won't be made to think that either Jane or I, or any one of the Volturi guard are beneath you. Figure out whatever you were trying to ask her, on your own. Vaffanculo a chi t'è morto." I spat the last phrase before grabbing Jane's hand and steering us back down the corridor where we were headed to the throne room.

I noticed, in passing, the presence of Felix and Demetri. They caught up and I gave them a questioning look before they both offered fist bumps. We got to the throne room and Jane fixed my outfit quickly before the doors opened and I walked in, the three guards following behind me before we were inside enough for them to head to their stations, splitting off.