26

Nightmares? Memories.

I didn't know if I should be happy that it was sunny, or nervous. My subconscious chose the latter. I was still hoping that the day of the market was gloomy at the very least.

I walked into the throne room, ready to withstand a few hours of trials. I brought my phone to keep the boredom at bay. When I walked over to stand beside Caius, he brought me into his lap again and I made myself comfortable. I was facing more out into the room with how he had situated me. He shifted and a wrapped package was placed into my lap. A beautiful periwinkle blue bow was tied perfectly and my name was written in cursive just above it. I sat up a little and looked back at Caius.

"A late birthday gift. I didn't even know what to get you until a few days ago." He held me closer as I hurriedly undid the bow.

"How did you know to tie it in blue?" I asked softly. His head touched the side of mine.

"Call it a quiet observation."

I paused before I unwrapped it. "Thank you. I didn't ask for anything."

"Isn't that the point of a surprise?" He nudged me before laughing slightly. "Open it."

"Okay." I finished unwrapping. On top was a beautiful leather bound sketchbook with a subtle embossing across the front. I couldn't help the soft gasp. "Oh my.."

"There's more."

"I know, I can feel it, just let me appreciate it." I whispered as I picked up the book and shifted it so that I could look at all of the tiny details. There was a leather strap that could be tied to keep it closed and the pages inside were tastefully uneven and had rough edges. It was all soft, like it was handmade. "It's so pretty... I just... Nevermind."

I tipped the book to my chest and looked at the other contents. A tin of colored pencils and a package of drawing pens. A special sketching pencil and a kneaded eraser were also among the gifts. I turned back to Caius and pressed a very long kiss to his cheek.

"Thank you, Caius."

"You're very welcome, Hero." He kissed my temple. I stacked the items behind Caius' chair and we situated again.

The first trial of the day came and went. Then the next. Then the next. The last trial of the day was about to begin. The guards dragged in the last vampire. This particular one I remembered. One of the first trials that I had been in the throne room for. Actually, I was pretty sure that it was the first trial that I was a part of.

Now, this was odd. I stood up from Caius' lap and watched as the guards situated the man.

"We killed you." I spoke aloud and most of the guard looked at me surprised. I cleared my throat, avoiding their eyes.

"Hero?" Caius said softly.

"I'm sorry, but I remember your face." I stepped forwards a little more, the vampire in question standing straight and dusting off his clothes.

"Do you?" Snark, I should have expected it.

"I do." I said. "You attacked me. I shot you across the room and then Demetri, Felix, and Santiago tore you into pieces."

"Well, you're right about one thing," the vampire said. "I have been here before. Last time it was because I turned my lover. I'm not sure what this time is about. Regardless, I'm not dead, so-"

I turned to Aro and marched right up to him.

"I don't understand what's going on." I said and held out my hand. I figured he might seem annoyed, especially because I was halting the last trial of the day, but he seemed keen to listen. He took my hand and closed his eyes. The nightmare I had had about what came after this ordeal came to mind and I brushed it aside just as quickly as it had come, but it was too late.