Chapter 4: Mission

DISCLAIMER: I do not own any characters mentioned, they all belong to Koyoharu Gotouge and Ufotable.

♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎

Kanae POV:
"Hayami-Chan!!! It's not like that!"

"Kanae stop lying to yourself. You, yourself, know that you and Shinazugawa-San aren't "just friends" it's obvious."

I quickly realized that Shinazugawa-Kun was standing by the gate waiting for me. I quietly prayed that he hadn't heard what we said and said goodbye to Hayami-Chan as I walked toward him.

"Hello, Shinazugawa-Kun!"

"Hello, Kochou. We should get a move on before it gets too late."

I smiled at him and we walked off. We were walking for a while since the sun still wouldn't set for another hour or so. We walked in silence. Not an uncomfortable or awkward silence but a calming and peaceful quiet.

"Kochou, I thought you'd retire since you're pregnant."

I flinched as I had gotten used to the silence.

"Well, im only a month into the pregnancy so I should be fine as long as I keep most of my movements limited."

Shinazugawa-Kun nodded and we walked in that comfortable silence for another few minutes or so before Shinazugawa-Kun spoke again.

"When do you plan to retire?"

I looked back to him as we continued walking.

"Next month! I can't fight demons after that point so I'll be retiring and helping in the butterfly mansion until I can no longer work."

"Why is it that you insist on working to your limit?"

"I don't like being useless. I would much rather work until I no longer can. Though, I still must keep my health in check."

Shinazugawa-Kun nodded and looked forward again. I felt compelled to look at him rather than the path. The moonlight reflected beautifully onto his eyes and his big puffy hair looked so soft. I really wanted to touch his hair but I knew he'd think I'm weird so I should ignore my urge.

"Kochou, we're finally here."

"Ara Ara~ it appears you're right!"

According to my crow many people have been going missing in the northern area of the town. Me and Shinazugawa-Kun decided to split up to search for the demon faster. We went opposite ways and started searching. I was walking through the alley as I pretended to be a civilian just walking by. Suddenly a demon jumped away from the alleyway. I found that strange. It seemed to be avoiding me. I shook it off and ran after the demon. I couldn't see what the demon looked like due to the shadows but I attempted to lead him to Shinazugawa-Kun so he could help me. The demon was quite fast and I somehow managed to lose him. I quickly went to find Shinazugawa-Kun to inform him of the demon. I found Shinazugawa-Kun and it just so happened that he had already found the demon. I looked at the demon and saw his eyes.
'Upper Rank 3' was written in his eyes.

"I'm sorry, but I don't fight women so, I would like for you to step aside."

"Ara Ara~ a demon with respect for women. Such a rare sight but I'm afraid I won't be stepping out of this."

Shinazugawa-Kun looks at me and gives me a 'are you serious?' look.

"Kochou, I'm afraid you will have to step out for this. You're pregnant and you have to keep your movements limited. Fighting one of the top 3 kizuki won't allow you to do that. So, please step out."

"Ara Ara~ Shinazugawa-Kun, I appreciate that you're concerned for me but I'm fine. I can't sit here and watch you get injured!"

I took back to the demon who seems to be preparing to run. I quickly jump up and glide to block him from running. He quickly stops and lifts me up gently as he places me aside and continues to run. I appreciated that he has manners but he was making it difficult to fight him. Shinazugawa-Kun ran after him and threw his sword and impaled the demon through his chest.

(A/N: I can't write fight scenes cuz I suck at making action-based stuff. So, let's skip to about 2 hours later.)

Shinazugawa-Kun has been fighting for a while now. I wanted to fight but he and the demon would give me death stares when I tried to fight so I sat down and watched. I continuously tried to sneak attack to at least try to help but either Shinazugawa-Kun or the demon would see me and place me gently back to the floor.

"Shinazugawa-Kunnnnnn! I want to help!"

"You can help by cheering me on or doing something that doesn't involve moving out of that spot."

I pouted like a child and watched them fight. At some point, the Kizuki was about to impale Shinazugawa-Kun right through his stomach. So, I got up and cut of the demon's arm. The demon realized that I had gotten up to fight and tried to run again. Shinazugawa-Kun was already wounded and exhausted so could not get up anymore. I didn't want to leave Shinazugawa-Kun by himself so I decided to let the demon leave. I knew the demon would not fight me anyway so what was the point in going after him? I managed to give Shinazugawa-Kun some nursing before taking him to an inn for the night. He was too tired to walk back to headquarters so it was a better option. When we got there. There happened to be one last two-bedroom inn. So, we settled in and slept for the night.

—————————————
A/N: I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! I'll update the next chapter in a few days so keep a look out for that!