Fourteen

Marigold's POV

Saturday

"Ready?" Allie put the car in park, shifting her body to turn to me. I was anxious the whole way here, I couldn't seem to stop my leg from bouncing repeatedly.

"Mhmm. Ready." I nodded, trying to convince myself that I actually am ready for this. It's been the only thing I could think about all day, I was feeling extremely anxious about the whole thing.

"Out! Out!" Daisy thrashed in her carseat. I took one final breath before unbuckling my seat belt and getting out of the car to let Daisy out. Allie grabbed the diaper bag and followed us towards the busy playground.

All Daisy knew was that she got to go to the park today. I told her we were meeting one of my friends here, but she didn't seem to care as long as she got to play.

My eyes scanned the busy area, looking for Jacob. Parents littered the playground and grass field, watching after their children as they played.

"Knowing him, he's gonna be late or he won't even show up at-" Allie started grumbling under her breath but was interrupted.

"Goldie!" I heard the stupid nickname in the distance. My eyes landed on Jacob who was standing next to a picnic table, waving his hand in the air. My hold on Daisy's hand tightened, this is actually happening. She's about to meet her father and she doesn't even know it.

"Let's just get this over with." Allie muttered as we made our way to the table.

Daisy held my hand tightly as we stood in front of him. Normally she's not the nervous or shy type after being in the cafe surrounded by customers. She actually loved meeting new people, always excited to talk to them about whatever came to mind, she was very opposite of me. She was definitely an extrovert while I am an introvert. But today, she has a tight grip on my hand and stays hidden slightly behind my leg.

"Allison." Jacob nodded curtly at Allie, not the friendliest hello but knowing the tension between them, it was better than nothing.

"Shithead," she muttered only loud enough for me to hear. I nudged her with my arm softly, silently telling her to be nice.

"Jacob." She said shortly, not entertained by him at all.

Jacob's gaze landed on the small child holding my hand, his face melted at the sight of her. I noticed him fidgeting with his fingers slightly, not hiding the fact that he was nervous.

I bent down next to Daisy, pulling her next to me. She looked over at me, her bottom lip tucked between her teeth. "Daisy, this is my friend Jacob. Can you be polite and tell him hello?"

She stared up at him, her head quickly shaking back and forth as she buried her face into my neck.

"Daisy." Jacob let out a soft chuckle, I had forgotten that he didn't even know her name till this point. "Your favorite flower. That's beautiful." He smiled. I wonder if he would think that if he found out why it is my favorite flower.

"Mommy I wanna play," Daisy wraps her tiny arms around my neck tightly. I give Jacob a shy smile, unsure how he's going to react that his daughter wants nothing to do with him.

"Can Mommy and Jacob play with you?" I asked, trying to steer her to interact with him in general.

After a moment to think she nodded her head slowly, still not positive about her decision. Jacob held out his hand for her and she timidly slid her tiny palm into his. I stood up, grabbing her other hand as she dragged us over to the playground.

I watched as Jacob climbed onto the playset following Daisy as she strictly told him she wanted to play pirates. Jacob was all about it, following Daisy around like a puppy, never taking his eyes off her. It was weird seeing them together like this for the first time. Physically, Daisy was a perfect split of Jacob and I. I never realized how much she looked like him.