Lost and Found || PJM. (1)

"Shhh... it's okay... come here, kitty kitty... ouch!"

Jerking backwards, he winced, biting his tongue to stem the grunt of pain from escaping. Throwing a pout at the offender, he grouched with a frown, "I was just trying to help!"

His furry offender spared him no sympathy, hissing reproachfully, before it gracefully hopped down from its position on the tree, scurrying off into the crevices of the shrouded alley. 

He could only gape after it, betrayed. "So you didn't need help," he grumbled, insulted. Unfortunately, the faint beeping in his earpiece prevented him from sulking any further.

Sighing, he decided that now was the time to cut his losses as he too hopped down from where he was perched upon the tree branch, rubbing the nasty scratch mark on his forearm before answering the incoming call. "Oh, hyung?"

"Jimin, are you done yet? What's taking you so long?"

Park Jimin paused in his steps, a flush of guilt pulsing through him. Eyeing the wilting shrubbery of the neighborhood alley, he admitted with a sheepish smile, "Uh... I got distracted."

"Distracted? By what?"

"A cat."

"Cat?" The flat tone of Namjoon's voice actually caused Jimin to sputter defensively.

"Come on, it was obviously lost, was crying really loudly, and was high in a tree. I thought it was stuck, so I wanted to, you know, help it down." He added under his breath, "And maybe keep it."

"Uh huh. And this distracted you enough that you haven't taken care of Number Five-Hundred Eighty-Nine yet, I assume?"

"Um... no."

Namjoon groaned in defeat on the other line, and Jimin could only chuckle nervously, stuffing his other hand into the pocket of his black denim jeans. "Don't worry, I'll get to it soon." His hand closed around the handle of the knife, massaging the rough surface within his pocket.

"Aaaand you're sure you won't be distracted again?"

A grin unrolled across his lips. "Positive."

He resumed his walk again once his call with Namjoon ended, following the narrow path of the alley. No one really walked back here except for the occasional wanderer, but the only person Jimin passed along the path was a foul-mouthed man, twice his size, swearing and yelling obscenities into his phone.

Slowing his pace just slightly, Jimin glided past him, eyeing the cigarette in the man's hand as the latter remained laughing uproariously and cursing into his phone.

"Haha, yeah dude! I'm only dating her for her money and her body. She's pretty hot, but she's just way too clingy!" He laughed. "She's already moved in with me, but I'm putting up with her for a couple more months before I can finally threaten to kick her out unless she starts paying all my rent. She's obsessed with me, so–Hey, what are you looking at?"

Flicking his gaze up, Jimin only now realized he'd stopped walking, having listened in a little too intently.

"Oh, nothing," he said lightly before twisting around and continuing on his way. The man only spat at him, and although Jimin would love to spare that man some of his time, especially because of how disgusting the latter sounded, he knew he had to focus on their actual target.

Gradually, the path morphed from leaves and dirt to gravel as he made his way back into the central hub of the neighborhood–a small, cozy town situated in the equally compact city of Anyang, where quaint bookstore, cozy cafes, snug little shops, and grocery stores lined the boardwalk, a place he would actually go to spend a weekend at.