𝟏𝟎│ memories resurface

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"So after all this time, Ginny was right." you mumble, clutching at the fabric of the hoodie as tight as you could as if it were the last thing keeping you alive, "Fuck."

Luna cleared her throat quietly to grab your attention, "Y/n? What do you mean?"

"I, uhm- I think I need to go on a walk," you mumble quietly, "I need some time to think."

"But your friends will be here soon! You can't be gone when they arrive." Luna tries to persuade you, but her argument falls on deaf ears.

You press your lips together and pretend to mull everything over, "I'll only be a few minutes, don't worry about it."

"Oh, I see." the blonde replied with a sigh, "Do you want any company? I can come with you if you'd like!"

"Thanks Luna, but it'd be better if I went by myself." you say, smiling apologetically. Truly, you felt bad for rejecting her offers, but right now all you wanted was to be alone.

"Alright," your friend shrugged, "I'll be here when you return. Be safe."

As Luna waved you off, you nodded and gave her a tight-lipped smile whilst stepping out of the dorms.

Your rushing thoughts were so loud that you needed to get out of the castle. All of the questions that were whirling about in your brain were making you feel claustrophobic and your head spin.

Once the chilly wind hit your face, you realised that being outside hardly helped at all. You wrapped Ron's hoodie around you even tighter, but this time, instead of confusion it gave you a warm feeling in the pit of your stomach.

After all of this time, he was always in front of you. Thinking back, you couldn't find any exact moment where you had fallen in love with him, but amortentia doesn't lie.

Maybe it was something gradual, nearly unnoticeable. Over all of these years of friendship, you must've subconsciously been hiding your feelings for Ron from yourself so you wouldn't have to face them.

"That has to be it," you mutter aloud.

But now, with all of the facts in the forefront of your mind, you needed to process everything. You settle down on a dry patch of grass on the edge of the Black Lake and stare out at the calm surface of it.

The water was still, but your internal emotions were anything but that. On the outside, you looked about as serene as the lake, but much like the lake's creatures that lurked in the depths of the water, you were tearing everything apart internally.

Every thought that crossed through the mess of your mind was ripped apart and analysed in great detail.

You felt like a fool for never noticing your feelings before - once you looked back on past times with Ron, it was all so clear.

Even when you'd first met him on the train to Hogwarts all those years ago, he was like a shining beacon of light. It was inevitable that you'd be drawn to that light like a moth to a flame.

Over time he became your rock, someone that was consistently by your side. Obviously you argued, but who doesn't? At the end of the day you always knew that you had a mutual appreciation for eachother.

He was always there for you. Even when he wasn't feeling the best himself, Ron always made sure to stay by your side when you were feeling under the weather.

A few weeks ago, you'd noticed that you'd felt butterflies in your stomach at the thought of him.

You'd never admit it to anyone, but you'd had dreams revolving around Ron once or twice. When you woke up, you always brushed them off as regular dreams, after all, your friends usually showed up in your dreams.

But these ones were always different - nothing inappropriate happened, but rather intimate moments were shared within them.

Reliving all of these past memories only made you fall further for the boy. It couldn't be helped.

"I've actually fallen, huh?" you sigh when you realise your choice of words.

You can't help but feel a sense of comfort in your recent revelation. If the amortentia had never forced you to realise your feelings, would you have ever paid attention to them, or would you have stayed in your bubble of blissful ignorance?

Either way, you needn't worry about that considering the fact that you knew of your crush now.

Though, describing it as a crush felt foolish. To smell someone in amortentia must mean that those feelings are stronger than a childish schoolgirl's crush.

But hen your teeth start to chatter, you realise that your time to think had been well and truly used up. You should be heading back to your common room by now. You honestly didn't know how much time you'd spent sitting on the bank of the lake, but it had definitely been long enough to raise suspicion.

You brushed down your uniform and set off determinedly towards the castle where your friends were waiting.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

author's note

shorter chapter than usual, my bad. i just couldn't find the words to use since there's no dialogue to add variety, y'know?

i'll probably add more to this in my post-completion editing spree because i want this fic completed :/

next chapter will be longer i swear