5| ...One Dress

-

-

Serina holds the red dress close to my body, scrutinizing me from head to toe with her keen fashion sense. A moment passes until she finally shakes her head, disapproving of the dress, "Nope. Not this one either. You need something blue to make those pretty eyes pop."

I groan, annoyed, "That's like the fifth dress!"

She wiggles her finger at me as she makes a tsking noise, "Perfection takes time, and you need to be perfect if you plan on wooing these people."

I roll my eyes.

I knew I shouldn't have told her about my concerns regarding the assignment, but what else am I supposed to do when faced with such an important matter? Obviously, I'm going to call my best friend right after, and that's what I did. We talked on the phone as I read through the rest of the file. Serina seemed to be against the idea of me attending a party hosted by the Nights.

I had no idea she felt any way about the rich family.

It's shocking how diligent she is now when just yesterday she opposed me attending this party. But, this morning she was fine with the idea, ecstatic even, and hellbent on getting us the perfect outfits. We only have today to pick something out with the party being tomorrow. Very short notice but Serina would work her magic.

I still don't know if Alastair is truly Alastair Night or not. I'm too much of a scaredy-cat to text him. It's been two days since we last spoke. What if he is a Night and this whole time he's been planning to take me as his date tomorrow but I flaked on him? God, it would be so embarrassing to show up as someone else, under a fake identity, and he be there to recognize me.

Fuck. Should I text him? The card in my back pocket feels heavy all of a sudden—the decision weighing down on me.

Rina is still scavenging through racks of dresses, hidden in a sea of cloth. I won't have much time, but I grab the card from my pocket and my cell phone from the other anyway. The phone unlocks with face ID and I quickly tap on the cell app, typing the number on the card lightning-fast.

I click the call button. It rings, and just when it is about to hit voicemail—

He picks up, "Hello?"

Oh god, his voice sounds so good. Did he just wake up? Did he always have that deep baritone with slight gravel? I still haven't quite placed where his accent is from.

Stop it! Focus!

"Hey, Alastair, it's me-

"Roselynn?" He interrupts.