13|...One Absurd Thought

-

-

I'm going crazy. 

Not for the reason I should be, but for a reason I most definitely should avoid at all costs. I mean for fucks sake, if I choose this route then by all means I'm simply selling my soul away to eternal damnation and all that jazz. At least, if you believe in that shit. Luckily for me, I'm on the outs regarding where my soul may end up when I die. 

Does that mean I should just say "Fuck it!" and drop all rationality? Probably not, but if I'm honest here, my mind was already made up when I realized that there's a story here that I'm given the opportunity to uncover that no one has before. 

I'm hyper aware of the erratic rhythm my heart beats against my chest, and if I waste a single second more not acting on this impulse, I'm afraid it'll beat out of my chest and onto the suspiciously clean carpeted floors of Alastair's SUV. I mean seriously, who the fuck keeps their car this clean?

Here goes my irrationality.  

"Stop the car please." My voice is only an octave higher than what would be considered a whisper, so I'm shocked by the fact the driver was able to hear me. 

Hesitance is clear in his tone as he peeks back at me in the rearview mirror, "Excuse me, miss?  You wish to stop? We haven't made it out of the grounds yet." 

I nod my head, my heart's tenacity never ceasing, "I know. I- uhm, forgot something." 

The driver doesn't question me, he simply nods and shifts the car into park. I reach for the door handle as I unbuckle my belt and quickly stumble my way out of the SUV. If I lose my momentum, my mind might change. 

I look around me, taking in the fact that we barely made it out of the loop around the castle's centerpiece. If I had a rational mind, I'd book it and get my ass back in that escape vehicle. Curiosity be damned, but alas my mind is illogical and driven by my desires. 

My eyes lock with Alastair's, a look of pure confusion is displayed across his ridiculously handsome face. I keep my pace steady, my nerves have my legs trembling and my hands fisting by my sides, but I force them back. I won't be controlled by fear. 

It didn't take long to reach him; he had been standing close by as he watched me leave. 

"Rose-

I interrupt him, can't lose this momentum, "Will you promise not to murder me?" 

His brows draw together, "What?" 

I take in a breath, "I need you to promise that you won't kill me, please." 

It takes approximately two seconds for his expression to turn serious, a chilling look of determination holds strong in his pretty obsidian gaze, "I promise, you have my word." 

I release the breath I had been holding and offer him a small smile, "Then I want to stay." 

Someone laughs beside us, and I take this opportunity to register my full surroundings and not just continue to zero in on my target. Heat creeps up to my cheeks as I take in the intimidating form of Alastair's sister, Ana. Jesus, she just watched me march up to him looking like a mad woman. That's not embarrassing at all.

I blink twice at the amused look on her face. Her red lips are tilted up in a wide smile, showing off her perfectly white and oddly pretty teeth. There's a slight crinkle in the corners of her eyes, softening the sharpness and calculation of their foxy gaze. 

"Oh dear, it seems I was wrong about you," she says. 

I want to ask what she was wrong about, but honestly, I'm kind of scared to know what her opinion of me was. I find myself seeking her approval despite the fact she is most likely a terrifying blood-sucking creature who could end me in the blink of an eye. 

Anastasia turns to Alastair, "Well, you can call off the security team brother. It seems we won't be needing them after all." 

I look back to Alastair, seeking an answer I hope he can provide with his response to that comment, but all I get is a frozen expression on his face. 

It's kind of cute. Can I use "cute" to describe such a large and intimidating man like him? Who cares. He looks cute in this moment. 

It doesn't take long for him to overcome his cuteness, his dark brows pinching together in incredulity as his eyes narrow in on me, "Roselynn, you cannot stay." 

Well, shit. 

I gape at him, "Why not?" 

He runs a hand over his face, "It's not practical. You have a life, a job, and a family, that you need to get back to."

I bite the inside of my cheek. He's right. I have responsibilities. God, I knew I was going crazy, but fuck it. 

"I can take a vacation from work. If I even have a job to get back to after disappearing for a week without notice." I counter, my hands on my hips. 

His full lips purse in thought, "What of your family? Your dog?" 

Fuck. I forgot about the dog, the dog I made up as an excuse for him to release me back home the first time we met. Which had been unnecessary seeing as he had no intention to keep me in the first place. Might as well come clean now. 

"Well, I lied about having a dog, and don't ask me why. Also, I don't have any family. None besides Serina anyways..." I trail, recalling the image of my friend. 

A sudden wave of sadness and betrayal rushes through me. It's nauseating to think that my best friend of fifteen years, kept this huge secret from me. I'm sure she had her reasons, complications regarding demand for her secrecy, and all that, but it still hurts to know that there was this whole part of her life I was simply unaware of. 

I'm not really sure of her part in this new world I'm about to uncover, or where she stands in it, but I without a doubt aim to uncover the truth. 

"Let her stay. We both know you don't want her to leave anyway," Ana interjects. 

Alastair stays quiet, lost in thought. The seconds that pass feel like hours and the dread that he's going to tell me to kick rocks takes root in my mind. I mean, is he really not going to let me stay... willing??? Isn't that what he wants?

Why are men so confusing? 

He clears his throat, finally, "I'll show you to your room. We can talk about what is to come and if you still wish to stay afterwords, I would be more then welcome to show the rest of the grounds." 

I can't help but smile, "Sounds good to me." 

Is it crazy that... I'm not as scared as I should be? 

-

-

guess who's back bitches KEKKEKEKEKE!