6| ...One Drive

-

-

Quiet, peaceful, serene, sleep. I love sleep.

When I dream, I go inside my mind, pluck a memory from my head library and shape it into whatever reality I want. But, sometimes that doesn't work and my dreams are more random than a cat driving an autobus. Last night though, it did work and the reality chosen was a memory of a younger me. The younger me still had parents who were alive.

This particular memory was a blissful one; a picnic in the park, literally. Mom sat out the plaid blanket and Dad started preparing sandwiches for us to eat. Normally when we would go to the park he would bring a tiny grill and cook burgers, but this time we felt lazy. I had almost gotten to the part where Dad was about to give me a piggyback ride until a banging sound jerked me from my slumber.

KNOCK! KOCK! KNOCK!

Only one person in this entire world knocks so obnoxiously when people are clearly trying to sleep. Serina Daphine Redwood.

I let out a strangled groan, annoyance greeting me as I awake, and throw the covers off my body. I do a quick stretch, effectively loosening my aching joints, before walking out of my room and to the door—a door where she hasn't stopped knocking. I think the knocks are actually getting louder.

Holy cow, the thudding of her fists is annoyingly loud first thing in the morning.

I yank the door open, stopping her mid-knock, "What the hell Rina? Why are you here so early on a fucking Sunday?"

She ignores me and brushes past, heading straight for the kitchen. Rina starts preparing coffee for us and I shut the door, the morning sun's light is being locked away with it.

"Don't tell me you already forgot," she laughs.

I cross my arms, "Forgot what?"

She fills the coffee pot with tap water, "Today is the day. It's party time! Or more like stressful work assignment time."

I roll my eyes as I walk toward the counter and take a seat on one of the bar stools, "Of course, I haven't forgotten," well, maybe a little, sleep is too good, "I'm just not insane like you and wake up at the crack of dawn to get ready for a party that's eight hours away."

"I'm not insane, just well prepared and as I said yesterday, perfection, remember? It takes time babe!" She scolds me while scooping out coffee grains and placing the scoop into a filter.

I place my elbows on the counter and rest my head in my hands, "I thought I was already perfection?" I tease with my lip in a pout.

"Rosy, of course you are. I'm talkin' about elegant perfection. The kind of perfection rich people fawn over." Serina presses the button on the coffee machine and our morning elixir begins to brew.