9| ... One Party

-

-

Part Three

-

I place a quick peck on Alastair's cheek without thinking, and much too embarrassed to see his reaction, I rush toward the sign hanging above a set of doors that has, "Restroom" written on it. I steer toward the sinks and take a deep breath, my palms pressing against my heated face as I take a moment to check out my reflection. I look mostly the same as I did when I first arrived, about forty or so minutes ago.

Oh my god. Why did I kiss him? Well, it wasn't really a kiss it was like a baby kiss and on the cheek too. Does that count as our first kiss? I don't know, does it? I don't know what went through my head to constitute that kissing Alastair on the cheek is... normal? I mean, it felt right. I would do it again.

Focus! We came here to look for Rina, stop thinking about kissing a man, I chastise myself.

Skylar said she would be here, but I don't see anyone.

While on the topic of Skylar. What was his problem? He came up to me like we knew each other. Why? I thought the days of us being friends were far behind us, so why did he act like we are close? It was probably just out of kindness for Rina, looking out for her friend, right? Otherwise, what other reason could there be?

Unless... Nah, that little fling between us all those years ago is just a distant memory—a very distant memory. There's no way he feels any way toward me, let alone romantic feelings, not when he has a fiancee and not when he treated me like garbage ten years ago. I almost laugh at the thought.

Sky, that brooding tank of a man, into me? That's hilarious. Even if he was, the thought of us being anything to each other but strangers is nonexistent. Whatever, it doesn't matter. What matters is finding Serina. So, I need to stop thinking about her brother.

"Rina?" I call out inside the empty restroom, my voice echoing against the silence.

I pause for a response, but there's nothing, only the sniffles of someone in the stall at the end. Hold up, sniffles? That means the restroom isn't empty and that might be Rina. But, why would she be crying?

Confused, I step toward the stall and knock three times, "Hey, uh, are you okay?"

The sniffles get quieter, and a strained, but familiar voice answers me, "Rosy?"

Oh god, it is Serina! I swear on my parent's grave when I find out who made her cry I will inflict the Rosy special on them, and they will be in a world of pain that's for damn sure.

With little concern about her privacy, I wriggle the handle—it's unlocked. Immediately I swing open the stall door and join her inside, locking the door behind me. I may have little consideration for her privacy, but I do care about our privacy. Once I've made sure the door won't open on us if some rando were to kick it down, I turn toward the toilet and come face to face with a teary-eyed Serina.