8. When it hurts so bad

Victoria was about to close her office door when she heard her name being called

Victoria was about to close her office door when she heard her name being called. She turned and saw John Shelby ran towards her. 

"We need to talk" 

From the serious expression of his bet friend Victoria did not think twice before nodding and reopening the door of his office to let him in. John sat down and took a deep breath. He was angry and what he said would not only get Thomas in trouble but hurt his best friend. 

"We got our first, legal racetrack pitch"

"This is great!" she congratulated her friend. 

"But that's not all" John sighed "I wanted to take Lizzie for a ride in the country with the kids, you know, to celebrate obtaining the license"

The woman frowned not understanding what the point of the situation was.

"I asked Tommy for the car to borrow but first he told me he offered Lizzie some money yesterday and she said yes" he sighed.

The woman scoffed, now she understood.

"I spoke to Lizzie, told her what Tommy told me. She said, 'Your brother Tommy is a dirty liar'. And then I spoke to her sister and her cousin. I bought them a couple of drinks. 'Just a few regulars' they said 'That's all. To keep the wolf from the door she still sees a couple of regulars'"

A few regulars... this rang in the woman's head. She knew her husband from returning from France was not the faithful man he once was, but she never expected him to become one of Lizzie Stark's regulars.

"I'm sorry Vicky" he sobbed angrily.

The woman just wanted to scream at him for putting the facts in front of his eyes, she wanted to get away from there, go to Tommy and slap him for humiliating her like that, she wanted to throw away the wedding ring that at that moment was burning on her finger as if it were itself made of fire. Instead the woman just took a deep breath and hugged her friend. 

"Thanks for telling me the truth" she whispered "I'm sorry for you and Lizzie"

The boy simply nodded before breaking away from the hug and kissing her on the forehead.

"Promise me that you will always be by my side" he whispered.

"Always" she nodded. 

.·.·.·.·.·.·.

Victoria had been standing outside that door for nearly an hour, not knowing what to do. To enter or not to enter? That was the question she had been asking herself since she had presented herself in front of that house she passed by every day but in which she had never dared to set foot for the past six years. 

She didn't know why she was there, she didn't even know why she didn't decide to enter or leave there. But one thing she knew, what John had told her a few hours earlier had awakened something inside her that for some reason had brought her there. There was where her married life began to fall apart and now that it was totally shattered it was time to say goodbye.