17. What I did for love

It had been since they left Alfie's bakery that Victoria and Tommy hadn't spoken to each other, even if, to be exact, they hadn't even nodded when Vitoria entered the office

It had been since they left Alfie's bakery that Victoria and Tommy hadn't spoken to each other, even if, to be exact, they hadn't even nodded when Vitoria entered the office. It had been two years since they had last seen each other and three months since they had last written. She was finally back and wanted to know why he hadn't answered even one of her letters.

"After two years I was expecting a warmer welcome" Victoria said, breaking the silence.

"Sorry if I don't jump for joy, but as you can see for yourself, I'm a bit bruised"

"When ever you're not, Tom," she snorted.

"When were you thinking of telling me about you and Solomons?" He asked, turning sharply to her.

"What did I have to tell you exactly?"

"Maybe you fuck with him!" He said, making her frown.

"Fuck with him?" she repeated surprised "Tommy, unlike you, I have always been faithful to you, I have not looked for any other man but you. Alfie and I simply have a customer-seller relationship, it is from him that I buy the rum that I had brought to the Garrison every time"

"Why didn't you ever tell me that you do business with one of London's most dangerous gangsters?"

"I don't think there has ever been an opportunity" this time she was the angry one "Since we returned from the war we haven't talked much, you were too busy with that waitress or that whore of Stark"

"Lizzie no longer works as a prostitute" he informed her "I offered her a job as a secretary"

"Obviously" she scoffed "Always offering jobs to the women you want to fuck, I think you did that with Grace last time"

"Nothing ever happened with Grace" he said "I haven't touched any women in two years, Victoria, you must believe me, you are the only one," he told her.

"Really? Because my eyes say the opposite"

"What are you--"

"I didn't come back today, Tommy" she cut him off.

He looked at her not understanding. If she had been in England for a week, then why didn't she go to him?

"Did you have fun the night before you went to Sabini's in London?"

His eyes widened in horror as he realized what she was referring to.

"Just as I imagined" she scoffed "Just try not to get syphilis"

"She means nothing to me, I swear to you," he said looking at her with pleading eyes.

"I hope so, Thomas. Being replaced by a whore is not what I aspire to" Victoria said "Maybe my father was right, I had to marry Edward, by now I would be the Princess of Wales and future Queen consort"

"It was you who decided to marry me, did you know that I had no title, that I could not ensure you a comfortable life that you Princess were used to" Tommy hissed.

"You are right, I decided to marry you, I did it by going against my family!" Victoria shouted "And you repay me by humiliating me like this! The reality, Thomas, is that I don't care if you are rich or not, I only care that you respect me, but of course this can't happen" she scoffed.

"Victoria, I'm--"

"Now let's go, I want to see Ada" she cut him off.

The man sighed in frustration, everything he did with her was wrong and he just pushed her away from him. The reality is that since Lily was gone, he didn't know how to deal with his wife.

The two arrived in front of the apartment where Ada lived.

"Ada!" Victoria called.

"Vicky?!" The girl threw herself into her arms and hugged her tightly "What are you doing here? When did you come back?" She was so happy to see her friend again.

"I recently returned. I'm sorry I couldn't come to Freddie's funeral, I'm very sorry for your loss" Victoria said sincerely.

"It doesn't matter, it was sudden, you wouldn't have been able to come anyway, the journey from America to here is long" Ada said "But how did you know I was here? Did Polly tell you?"

"Actually..." Victoria turned to her husband, who was a little further away from them. He wanted to make room for the two friends to talk to each other after two years of not seeing each other.

"Ada" Tommy greeted as he approached the two.

"How the fuck did you find me? What, are you reading Polly's letters?" Ada asked angrily.

"Polly showed me the letter" Tommy said "Look, you think you're safe because you moved flat, but you're not. Polly thinks the same"

"When will you understand? I just want you all out of my life"

"Ada. Look at us, eh? And it'll happen again"

"Yeah, well, next time I'll be ready. In fact, I want them to try again 'cause I'll shoot their balls off!" Ada said pulling a gun out of her purse.

"Ada, put the fucking gun away" Victoria said in shock. Pulling a gun out on the crowded streets of London in broad daylight was insane.

"Get away from me, Tommy. I'm late for work"

"All right, fine. Fine. Just take this" Tommy said handing her an envelope "Take it" Ada opened the envelope and inside was a set of keys "Where you're living now is right on the edge of Sabini's territory and all the coppers round there work for him. I've got a lot of money coming in that I can't put through the banks. My accountant says the best thing is to buy property for cash and put it in the name of a family member"

"A house? A whole house?" Ada asked.

"It's all yours. Four storeys, eight bedrooms, kitchen, scullery. Rooms for a maid, if your political conscience will allow. At least go and have a look, eh?"

Ada nodded and then left.

.·.·.·.·.·.·.

All the way home, Thomas and Victoria hadn't spoken to each other. When the two arrived at the betting shop, she was warmly welcomed by everyone, especially by Arthur, who never wanted to break away from their hug.

The door opened, Polly was finally here. Everyone began to applaud.

"What the bloody hell is going on?" Polly asked.

Victoria approached her smiling, she was happy to see her again.

"When did you get back?" Polly asked, hugging her.

"I didn't want to miss your birthday, Pol"

"Back to work" Arthur said to the others.

"How d'you know it's my birthday? Nobody ever knows"

"Ah, it's different this year" Thomas said "John, Finn, bring the car round"

"Where are we going?" Polly asked.

"To unwrap your birthday present. After you"

Victoria decided to give the Shelby brothers some space. She had just returned and had to sort out her things.