12. The things we left behind

"Going for good?" Polly asked Grace

"I heard there was trouble"

"Instinct's a funny thing "Polly said "See, normally I can tell about a person, but with you--"

"Look, the fighting's about to begin" Grace interrupted her "We should get out of here"

"We know who you are" Polly informed her "Tommy knows as well. Turned out that copper as good as told him this morning. But I wanted to hear it from your own lips"

Grace took the gun from her purse and pointed it at the woman.

"I am an agent of the Crown. I have the power to arrest and the right to use force. So please, step out of my way"

Polly looked at her unimpressed.

"Like I say, instinct's a funny thing. You fell for Tommy for real, didn't you"

"This gun is loaded" Grace warned. 

"I'm not afraid of you" Polly shook her head "I feel sorry for you. Slip of a thing" she walked over to the blonde, not caring about the gun "Thought you'd come in here and stitch us all up. I mean, we've had some copper's narks in here, but you... You're the queen of them all. So who are you? Rich girl, I'd guess. Unionist. Ulster Volunteer"

Grace slowly began to lower the gun.

"You thought, "Fenians, communists, low people they're all the same. Scum. Then you met Tommy"

Grace put the gun down on the bar counter.

"I'll fight you with my fists and show you how a rich girl fights. I'm from a tough family, too"

"Nah" Polly moved closer to her "We women have more sense. Why don't you pour us both a drink?" She asked, going to sit down.

"So am I right?" Polly asked, lighting a cigarette "Did you fall for Tommy?"

"Yes, I did"

"Then I pity you"

"You think he'll try to kill me?" Grace asked.

"That's too soft"

"Soft?"

"Soft. Like you" Polly said taking a sip of her drink.

"What was he like? Before France?" Grace asked.

"He laughed. A lot" Polly said making the other woman smile "He wanted to work with horses. He and Victoria were a happy couple"

"He won medals?"

"Threw them in the cut. Not a single man came back the same. Not even Victoria. You see, she might"

"Might what?" The blonde asked not understanding.

"You know, after all this is over, Thomas might forgive you. But I should tell you something, you turned against the wrong person, Grace. I will never forgive you or accept you" the woman hissed "As far as I'm concerned, you're a snitch from the parish and if you're not gone from this city by tomorrow, it won't me who will put a bullet in your head, but a very vengeful wife" Polly warned her "Now go"