15. Bring the pain

Birmingham, 1910

Birmingham, 1910

We were walking down the street when we arrived in front of the Blake house. Every time I see it, I stopped for a few minutes to admire it. This is what I wanted to aim for, to become rich enough to afford all this and live a comfortable life.

"Someone got the car ready" Edward says interrupting my thoughts "It must have been my sister for sure, she always runs away to London whenever she can" he sighs "Please, if my father makes inconvenient speeches, you'll have to save me, man" he turns to me.

"And make your father hate me even more?" 

"It's Uncle John who hates you, my father just doesn't understand what I'm doing with someone like you" Edward shrugs.

"This is consoling me, thank you" I roll my eyes.

He just laughs and goes knocking on the door. Of course, they also had the waiters and the housekeeper, who like every time she sees me gives me a dirty look.  As we enter, on the stairs, there are Victoria and Richard, the best friend of my brother John, the little sister of my best friend and their father.

"I must say, everyone appears so downright cheerful this afternoon, it's rather disturbing" Edward smiles.

Richard glares at him.

"I was just telling Father I'm on my way to the car" Victoria says as pleasantly as she could manage "I'm meeting Uncle Jonathan"

Edward claps his hands together, a sly smile spreading across his face. "Ah, that's right. I recall Uncle saying something about tea earlier in the week. Unfortunately, I had to decline his invitation, with my work commitments and all" he says, pointing me. Of course Richard doesn't spare himself from looking at me with a fiery gaze.

"And what do you have so important to do not to accompany your sister to London?" He asks.

As used to, my friend ignores his father's question and steps back, grinning.

"Your dress is exceptional for today's weather and special occasion. Fifteen now, right? You're stunning, birthday girl. Don't you agree, Father?"

Of course! Today was her birthday and I had forgotten about it. Yet it was all morning that John never stopped reminding me. I think he has a crush on her.

"Since it's your birthday you may go there for tea and come straight back. I do not want you going anywhere else. Nor do I want you engaged in any of that— that activity your uncle is involved with. Understood?"

Victoria nods, relieved.

"Should anything happen to your sister" he says, staring at his son "I will hold you responsible"

Richard holds Edward's gaze for a moment longer, then stalks from the room, leaving us. Victoria turned her attention to us.

"Well, happy birthday Victoria" I says.