9. Unforgiven

That morning Victoria had decided to take Polly to Ada's house and try to get the girl to eat something

That morning Victoria had decided to take Polly to Ada's house and try to get the girl to eat something. A few days had passed since Freddie's arrest and from that moment Ada had locked herself up in her own house, without communicating with anyone. Polly used to visit her every day to leave her a basket with food but every time the next day she would find it in the same place where she had left it.

"Open up, love" Polly knocked on the door "I brought more things for you and the baby. Got some fresh eggs and bread" no answer came from the girl "I'll leave it here"

"Ada is me, Victoria. Ada, you have to think about the little one, babies don't have principles" Victoria sighed "You can not talk to us, but at least get food for yourself and the little one"

The door did not open however and no response came from behind it, so the two women decided to leave. 

.·.·.·.·.·.·.

Victoria was about to leave Mrs. Lloyd's house when she saw Thomas on the other side of the pavement. 

"Bloody hell" she muttered. 

The woman decided to ignore it and started walking towards the clinic, but unfortunately for her her husband had started following her. She was about to turn the corner when she was grabbed by the elbow forcing her to stop.

"We need to talk" Thomas said seriously.

"We don't have to tell each other anything Tommy" she hissed "We told each other what we had to say the other day"

"It wasn't me who shot Freddie Thorne, you have to believe me"

"I thought you said you'd never come to me in case you had a problem. So why are you here?"

"Honestly I don't know" he sighed.

"Great answer" she said unimpressed.

The woman was about to leave when Thomas stopped her again.

"December third"

"What?" Victoria frowned.

"December third" he repeated "It's the day we take out Billy Kimber"

"Why are you telling me this?" She asked "I thought you decided to cut me out of all your business, if it weren't for John and Arthur I wouldn't even know about your business with Kimber. So why are you telling me this?"

"Because you're the only one I trust and the only one who talks to me despite all the bullshit I've done"

"But that's not enough to keep you away from that barmaid, isn't it?" Victoria sighed.

Thomas didn't answer.

"I'm tired Tommy, I'm tired of this whole situation" she sighed wearily "Perhaps it is better to put an end to all this"

Thomas remained impassive at those words even though inside he felt his heart beating fast for fear of losing her.

"I'm tired of always being the perfect wife, of having to wait for you even when I know you won't come back to me. I gave up everything for you and you pay me back like this?"